US Senator Joseph Lieberman speaks at Republican National Convention
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
United States Senator ID-CT) delivered an impassioned speech yesterday to Republicans at the 2008 Republican National Convention. His choice to do so angered numerous congressional Democrats, and may lead to sanctions by the party.(
Lieberman spent 18 years as a Democrat, winning his first Senate race in 1988. After three terms, Lieberman narrowly lost the Democratic primary in the lead-up to the 2006 election. Running instead under the "Connecticut for Lieberman" party banner, Lieberman beat his former democratic opponent Ned Lamont, Republican Alan Schlesinger and third-party candidates thereby retaining his seat. He promptly changed his official party affiliation to "Independent Democrat", which he continues to use.
Lieberman, who had previously endorsed John McCain for the presidency and was long considered as a possible running mate, spoke to the Republican party about choosing a maverick:
Lieberman also took shots at his own party, and its candidate, Senator Barack Obama:
He also elicited booing when mentioning Obama's stance on ground-troop funding:
Lieberman's decision to speak at the Convention sparked anger from many of his Democratic colleagues. A "Lieberman Must Go" petition, boasting over 50,000 signatures, was launched by filmmaker Robert Greenwald. Greenwald seeks to have Lieberman stripped of his chairmanship on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. Pundits consider this likely if Democrats gain Senate seats in the upcoming election, guaranteeing a safe majority. (The current makeup of the Senate is 49 Republicans, 49 Democrats, and two independents, Lieberman and Bernie Sanders of Vermont.)
Lieberman's speech came on the first day of the convention, and followed that of Senator Fred Thompson and the televised appearance of U.S. President George W. Bush. The convention will conclude on Thursday, 4 September.
- Connecticut United States Senate election, 2006 at Wikipedia
- "Lieberman: Call Me Independent-Democrat" — , 2006-11-12
- Joe Lieberman. "JOE LIEBERMAN: MCCAIN FOR PRESIDENT" — , 2008-02-03
- Elisabeth Bumiller and Michael Cooper. "Advisers say conservative ire pushed McCain away from picking Lieberman" — , 2008-08-31
- "Full Text Of Lieberman's RNC Speech" — , 2008-09-02
- Peter Urban. "Lieberman's Republican convention slot angers Dems" — , 2008-08-21
- Frank James. "GOP releases full convention roster" — , 2008-08-26