US military confirms three deaths after B-52 crash off Guam
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
The United States military has confirmed that three of the six crew on board a B-52 Stratofortress that crashed near Guam's Apra Harbour yesterday are dead. The strategic bomber belonged to the US Air Force (USAF).
The aircraft had been headed for a Liberation Day celebration to perform a flyover when it crashed thirty miles off the coast. Since the Monday morning accident 3,000 square miles of ocean have been searched, with aircraft drafted in from as far afield as Japan to help.
The commander of the 35th wing in Guam told reporters that since the crash at 9:45 am local time "we've had no encouraging indicators that our airmen survived this crash." He also said that amongst the groups searching were the US Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Drug Enforcement Agency in addition to Guam Fire and Rescue and Police Departments.
According to the navy, there were no munitions or weapons on board at the time of the crash.
- Jaymes Song. "Crash of B-52 bomber off Guam kills at least 3" — , July 22, 2008
- "Hopes fade for B-52 crash survivors: US military" — , July 22, 2008
- "Confirmation three killed in military crash off Guam" — , July 22, 2008