Tdempsey, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! Dan100 (Talk) 08:50, 24 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Feel free to contact me
Hi Tdempsey, I'm NGerda, an administrator and writer here at Wikinews. Welcome! I see that you're not afraid to make bold propositions, and that's great! That's exactly what's going to evolve Wikinews into an even better news source! If you ever run into any problems or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at Wikinews chat or on my talk page. Good luck, and happy writing! --NGerda 16:35, Jun 25, 2005 (UTC)
Hi T. Pitch in on any topic you feel like - we don't really cover anything that well. However some gay rights stories would be interesting, I must say - something we've had very little coverage of.
As far as getting started is concerned, the first two links in my message above are the ones to read. They should give you a good grounding on how the site works and how to write a story. If you need any help, drop a line on my talk page or anyone elses, or click the 'Real-time chat' link above to enter the Wikinews IRC channel - there's usually someone who can help you there.
Hello. I noticed you are interested in covering LGBT issues. You may be interested in the new LGBT page and Category:LGBT pages I created. Of course, since I added the LGBT tag to some older stories, the current story order is out of whack, but as new stories are written, the newest should appear on the top in each category. -- Davodd | Talk 5 July 2005 04:11 (UTC)