CSpurrier: Dont bother welcoming me.
- Can I welcome you then?! → CGorman (Talk) 20:15, 9 July 2005 (UTC)
Tryggr, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! --Cspurrier 02:38, 18 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Hello, I would be glad to have any help you are interested in giving. Let me know what you would like to help with. Thanks--Cspurrier 02:38, 18 Jun 2005 (UTC)
I will be on IRC until 0400 UTC. NGerda 02:39, Jun 18, 2005 (UTC)
Regarding your interest in WikiNews Network, we are currently testing out an easy-to-use system to submit a show and get broadcasting. We expect this system to be ready within the next couple of weeks. I greatly appreciate your interest in WikiNews Network, and hopefully you will still be interested in doing broadcasts when are system is ready. NGerda 01:12, Jun 18, 2005 (UTC)
Country of the week
Hi, thanks for the note. I will have to have a look through the final stories and see what of my reporting is still there, I think most of it was overwritten by more sourced material. ClareWhite 8 July 2005 12:38 (UTC)
Hi. I can't rename your account, because the new username already exists. The new username must not exist on the site, yet, for the rename proces to work. -- IlyaHaykinson 21:00, 9 July 2005 (UTC)
Basic scripting in templates (if/else logic is all that is needed)
See MediaZilla:1689 and MediaZilla:364 for some existing code and discussions, as well as m:Extended template syntax. This includes if/else logic. Brion believes that templates should be kept as simple as possible, and has not been very enthusiastic about enhancements. Any new proposal will really have to be newbie-friendly and minimal.
Infobox auto-creator (working on this in PHP so even idiots can quickly create customized infoboxes)
Sounds interesting. See w:Wikipedia:Proposal for Table: namespace and intuitive table editor for some ideas on this.
'Source' button on edit page to insert generic source
Yes, I think having custom extensions to the edit toolbar for purposes like this makes sense. This shouldn't be too hard, someone just needs to come up with a nice button. I've added customizability to the simple tasklist.
Search results need to have a "sort by date" option because date is more relevant in news than MediaWiki's "relevancy" calculations - which are rather irrelevant to our news.
Sorting by last-edited might be possible, but probably tricky (we're using Lucene instead of MediaWiki's internal search engine). Probably best to talk to Brion about it.
--Eloquence 05:37, 10 July 2005 (UTC)
Finland: Country of the Week
Hi, if you need some help in finding Finnish news in English here it is;
- Helsingin Sanomat currnetly offline until 1st August , weekdays ready to air by 1300 EET
- YLE News in English twice daily on weekdays and daily on weekends
- Newsroom Finland News from STT; the national news agency
159753 12:25, 17 July 2005 (UTC)