VE Day 60th anniversary commemorated across Europe & USA
(Redirected from VE Day 60th anniversary commemorated across Europe)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sunday, May 8, 2005
The 60th anniversary of Europe and the .has been commemorated Sunday across
- In Germany: and attended a service at the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in and a wreath-laying ceremony at the main Soviet war memorial. VE Day is commemorated as Democracy Day in Germany, as Germans consider it to be the day when they, too, were liberated from .
- In the United Kingdom:
- Cenotaph. is scheduled to attend the main commemorative ceremony to be held on July 10, 2005. , wearing his uniform of in the , laid a commemorative wreath at the
- At 19:00 UTC a Dakota DC3, from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at RAF Coningsby, flew over the Palace of Westminster, Whitehall, and Trafalgar Square to mark the beginning of a televised BBC VE Day concert.
- In France: Jacques Chirac laid a memorial wreath at the at the .
- In the Netherlands: and Queen attended a memorial ceremony at a United States military cemetery near , where the was sounded.
- In World War Two Croatian state, was "founded on crime" and is "a discrace and an insult to Croats." The role of and during the World War Two is still a point of debate in Croatia. : gave a controversial speech at a commemorative celebration of victory over fascism in , starting with "Comrades, ladies and gentlemen." He said that , a
- In the United States: Former Sen. spoke during a Sunday ceremony commemorating the anniversary of allied victory in Europe, May 8, 1945. The ceremony was held near the in .
The 60th anniversary ofis scheduled to be celebrated in , and other successor states of the , on May 9, 2005.
- "Prince lays wreath to mark VE Day" — , May 8, 2005
- "Europe honours war dead on VE Day" — , May 8, 2005
- "Thousands mark VE Day across UK" — , May 8, 2005
- "Bush honors World War II dead" — , May 8, 2005
- "Europe marks 60 years since WWII" — , May 8, 2005
- "Mesic: Without the communisty party there wouldn't be antifascism (in Croatian)" — , May 8, 2005
- Samantha L. Quigley. "A Grateful Nation Honors World War II Vets on V-E Day" — , May 8, 2005