Wikinews:Main Page poll
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Regarding: Purpose of the Main Page
Requirements: Logged-in user on Wikinews. One vote per user per question. Voting ends January 21, 2005 at 00:01 UTC.
- Illanos 01:04, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC) but do it in a similar way to google news, i.e. sections -> a few top stories within each section
- I agree.---Carlosar 02:22, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Bjarki 02:39, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC) what Illanos said ^^^
- Jiang 04:53, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- TalkHard 13:11, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- agree with Illanos. --Whosyourjudas 03:58, 6 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Lankiveil 05:18, 6 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Cap'n Refsmmat 00:19, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC) I agree. If we do this, however, we have to provide category and dates in every article... which is simple enough.
- IlyaHaykinson 18:02, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Andrevan 20:00, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- softssa 20:27, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Affirm Kurt Weber 04:21, 12 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Agree with Illanos. Codernaut 21:20, 26 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- -- Davodd | Talk 11:34, 3 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Dan100 12:08, 8 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- -- OverlordP 09:54, 9 Jan 2005 (UTC)
--126.96.36.199 06:33, 10 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Question: Whether the Main Page includes an "articles being written and edited" box or similar
Main Page should include a separate box of articles being written and edited
- Illanos 01:05, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Bjarki 02:37, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC), it can stay on the main page but it should be smaller and placed lower on the page.
- TalkHard 13:11, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC) Should stay, at least for now, to get more people editing.
- Lankiveil 05:19, 6 Dec 2004 (UTC). Yes, but it should not be as high on the page as it is now. Perhaps place it below the latest headlines.
- Cap'n Refsmmat 00:19, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC) Yes, so they're edited and seen. But please, move it down and expand the current news box to include categories and stuff.
- Lyellin 00:23, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC) I agree with Lankiveil. Move it down a bit.
- IlyaHaykinson 18:02, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC) (I feel that it should stay where it is until Wikinews grows enough to rotate through the left-side current news box very quickly)
- For a while. This should be subject to change. Andrevan 20:00, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- softssa 20:27, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Eloquence 05:57, 12 Dec 2004 (UTC) for now
- Simeon 15:47, 10 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Dan100 (Talk) 11:54, 19 Jan 2005 (UTC) As it currently does, at least for now.
Main Page should NOT include a separate box of articles being written and edited
- There are advantages and disadvantages about using separate box of articles being written and edited at the Main Page. Sometimes I think it could work, sometimes I think the opposite. For now I think it is not a good idea. A separate section like Article workspace is a better idea.---Carlosar 02:20, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- a separate community page will do --Jiang 04:53, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I think the 'being edited' box is difficult to maintain, not very easy to see changes to, and not as informative to the potential contributor as a full-blown page. The 'being edited' box may have some effect on drawing contributors, but I'm not sure it's significant or worth the credibility or front-page space. Perhaps a full page could just be well advertised on the Main Page. Wikinews:Workspace is the what we have in terms of a full page right now. 119 05:46, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- no. provide a link.jkrusky 22:22, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Two reasons: First (because it's quickest to type) is stylistic--it just clutters up the main page. Second is that providing links to incomplete (and often, at that point, misleading or outright incorrect) articles harms our credibility. As for attracting writers, anyone who's seriously interested in writing good, informative articles will be willing to spend some time poking around and ACTUALLY READING THE RELEVANT POLICIES rather than just dive in over his head and get frustrated when people correct his work for content, style, and form--making an unpleasant experience for him and lowering the quality of Wikinews overall as we spend more time correcting the work of writers who aren't interested in doing things right the first time and less on perfecting the work of writers who are. Kurt Weber 04:25, 12 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- If Google News ever starts crawling our site, those incomplete stories will be fed to the world - warts, errors and all. We should develop a community page ot newsroom page for works in progress. -- Davodd | Talk 11:37, 3 Jan 2005 (UTC)