Wikinews Shorts: August 15, 2016
A compilation of brief news reports for Monday, August 15, 2016.
Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2 in Star Wars, dies, 81
actor , aged 81, died on Saturday after a lengthy illness, at his home, according to relatives. He was known for playing in many of the films, as well as his role as Fidgit in 's .
- "Kenny Baker, Star Wars R2-D2 actor, dies aged 81" — , August 13, 2016
- ‘Star Wars’ actor Kenny Baker know for R2-D2 role dies at 81" — , August 13, 2016 . "
Massive flooding in Louisiana
Record floods have broken out in parts of thestate of . Officials said yesterday at least four have died in the event. Some motorists were stranded on for more than a day. 's medical center said they transferred around 40 patients elsewhere to "ensure ongoing continuity of care", many of the patients in critical condition.
- Greg Hilburn and John Bacon. "Four dead, 7,000 rescued from Louisiana flooding" — , August 14, 2016
- Joe Sterling, Steve Visser and Boris Sanchez. "'Major disaster' in flooded areas of Louisiana, governor says" — , August 14, 2016
Four Olympic swimmers robbed in Brazil
Yesterday, in, Olympic swimmers , , , and were robbed at gunpoint by thieves posing as police officers, according to reports from the Olympic Committee and the swimmers. By Lochte's account to , after he initially refused to cooperate, one of the bandits put a gun to his head. The four men were reported safe, and authorities said they were investigating.
- Rebecca P. Ruiz and Victor Mather. "Ryan Lochte and Three Teammates Robbed at Gunpoint" — , August 14, 2016
- Thom Patterson. "Ryan Lochte, 3 other U.S. swimmers robbed at Rio Olympics, USOC says" — , August 14, 2016