Wikinews Shorts: December 1, 2008
A compilation of brief news reports for Monday, December 1, 2008.
150 beached whales die
Approximately 150 whales have died after being beached in a remote coastal area of Australia's Tasmania island state. They were discovered on Saturday. Many of the whales had been badly cut by jagged rocks lying on the shore.
Rescuers managed to save a pod of thirty whales that were trapped in shallow reefs by shepherding them out to the open sea by boat.
Last week another 60 whales were also stranded on another part of the island.
- "Beached whales die in Australia" — , December 1, 2008
- "Stranded whales in Tasmania all die" — , December 1, 2008
Gunmen kill 8 at Mexican restaurant
According tostate prosecutor's office spokesman Alejandro Pariente, the gunmen arrived at the restaurant in three separate cars, approached a group of people, and started shooting. Pariente added that no arrests were made.
Juárez has seen escalating levels of violence this year, mostly connected to the illegal drug industry.
- "Mexican diners killed by gunmen" — , December 1, 2008
- "Gunmen kill 8 in Mexican border restaurant" — , December 1, 2008
PD-L takes lead in Romanian elections
Preliminary results suggest that theobtained approximately 32% of the vote, while the received 18%. Voter turnout in the election was about 39%.
The results are not yet official.
- "Romania: early count shows president's party ahead" — , December 1, 2008
- "Romania election outcome unclear" — , December 1, 2008
- Agence France-Presse. "Left-wing claims victory in Romania vote" — , December 1, 2008