Wikinews Shorts: March 26, 2012
|This article mentions the Wikimedia Foundation, one of its projects, or people related to it. Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
A compilation of brief news reports for Monday, March 26, 2012.
Australian Broadcasting Company releases content to Wikimedia under free license
In lieu of the Wikipedia and for use by the public. Project officer Liam Wyatt hopes that "this release from the Australian public broadcaster will be the beginning of an ongoing relationship with the Wikimedia projects and the Wikimedia community, and encourage other broadcasters – especially those that are publicly funded – to join us."(ABC) turning 80 this year, they have decided to release a collection of historic audio and visual content under a free license for use on
- Paul Sawers. "ABC becomes the first Aussie broadcaster to donate footage to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons" — , March 26, 2012
- Kylie Pappalardo. "ABC releases landmark archival film footage under Creative Commons" — , March 26, 2012
3.1 earthquake aftershock rattles central Virginia
Another Virginia last night. The 3.1-magnitude earthquake was focused around , Virginia which served as the epicenter for an August 2011 earthquake that was strong enough to damage American landmarks in like the . It was felt as far away as , and , . As of press time, no damage was reported.has rattled central
- Associated Press. "Aftershocks from 2011 quake continue in Va, 3.1-magnitude reported 8 miles from epicenter" — , March 26, 2012
- Benjamin R. Freed. "Virginia Rattled by Yet Another Earthquake" — , March 26, 2012
Central Chile rocked by second earthquake in 24-hours
Central Chile experienced two earthquakes within 24 hours. Saturday morning, at 4:28 a.m., a magnitude 5.1 earthquake shook Santiago. No injuries or damages were reported. A second earthquake, of 7.1-magnitude, took place on Sunday, at 6:37 p.m. in , which is approximately 219 kilometers south-south-west of Santiago. As of this report, no injuries or major damages have been reported. Coastal evacuations are being promoted by authorities, however, the Chilean Navy is doubtful of a .
- "News of the Day From Across the Globe" — , March 25, 2012
- Eva Vergara. "Chile Earthquake 2012: 7.2 Magnitude Quake Strikes Country" — , March 25, 2012
- "Magnitude 7.1 - MAULE, CHILE" — , March 25, 2012
Tiger Woods secures first PGA Tour win in 30 months
- "Tiger Woods earns first PGA win since 2009" — , March 25, 2012
- Jay Busbee. "Tiger Woods returns to winning ways at long last with victory at Bay Hill" — , March 25, 2012
New leader of Hong Kong chosen while protestors seek 'true democracy'
Hong Kong today. He won 689 out of 1,193 election committee votes. Pro-democracy protests took place throughout the weekend, including the protestors waiting for the election committee upon their arrival at the convention center to cast their votes. The demonstrators also attempted to storm the convention center, and when election results were announced the police used to ward off the protestors. Demonstration organizer Avery Ng describes Hong Kong as not being a "true democracy," with other protestors believing that Hong Kong would never gain the right to vote, which would be given to them by China.was declared the new of
- Kevin Drew. "Tensions Remain After Hong Kong Election" — , March 25, 2012
- Natasha Khan. "Hong Kong Police Use Spray as Protesters Try to Storm Poll Site" — , March 25, 2012