Wikinews Shorts: May 15, 2009
A compilation of brief news reports for Friday, May 15, 2009.
California governor proposes more cuts
Californian education budgets would be cut by $3 billion USD for the next five years if California voters gave a yes votes to the budget-related measures for May 19's special election.
Schwarzenegger is also ready to sell state properties including theand the to raise money for the state.
- Associated Press. "Schwarzenegger Proposes Layoffs, Deep Budget Cuts" — , May 14, 2009
- Christie, Jim. "California governor sees $15.4 billion gap, urges deep cuts" — , May 14, 2009
Nintendo DS sales hit one million
sales hit one million units last April. However, even with Nintendo's moderate success with their DS gaming system, all video game sales have declined 17%.
writer Tor Thorsen claims that , the current release of the Nintendo DS, is an acronym for "Dominating Sales in America."
- Thorsen, Tor. "NPD: US April sales slide 17%, DS tops 1 million" — , May 14, 2009
- "UPDATE 1-U.S. video game sales down 17 pct in April-NPD" — , May 14, 2009
Phelps ready for next race
Eight-time gold medalist, in a recent conference Thursday, told reporters he will enter a swimming competition today.
This is Phelps' first swim meet since he was photographed with a marijuana pipe in his mouth.
Phelps will swim the 200-meter freestyle and 100-meter butterfly races.
After the marijuana pipe photo was released, Phelps was unsure of whether he would swim again.
- Crouse, Karen. "Phelps Has Company on Comeback Trail in Charlotte" — , May 14, 2009
- Newberry, Paul. "Phelps ready for 1st race since Beijing" — , May 14, 2009