Wikinews Shorts: May 8, 2007
A compilation of brief news reports for Tuesday, May 8, 2007.
- 1 Israeli archaeologists find tomb of Herod the Great
- 2 Woman stable after La Trobe University stabbing
- 3 Sarkozy criticized over vacation cruise
- 4 Nigerian rebels force further oil shutdowns
- 5 NATO forces attacked, civilians caught in the cross fire
- 6 DOE awards management of US nuclear lab to UC-led team
Israeli archaeologists find tomb of Herod the Great
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem announced that it has uncovered the grave and tomb of King Herod, who ruled Judea for the Roman empire from circa 37 BCE. The Tomb was found at Herodium, 12 km south of Jerusalem.
- "King Herod's ancient tomb 'found'" — , 2007-05-08
- Amiram Barkat. "Hebrew University: Herod's tomb and grave found at Herodium" — , 2007-05-08
- Lilach Shoval and Reuters. "King Herod's tomb discovered, Israeli university says" — , 2007-05-08
Woman stable after La Trobe University stabbing
The victim, a 27-year-old behavioral science student, was stabbed several times in the chest by a masked female stranger in a toilet block outside the Bundoora campus library. Students quickly evacuated the library after seeing the victim running from the bathroom, screaming that she had been stabbed and leaving a trail of blood behind her. The 23-year-old attacker has been charged with attempted murder. Witnesses to the event are being offered councelling services.
- "Woman stable after uni stabbing" — , May 8, 2007
- Julia Medew and Leo Shanahan. "Shock at uni stabbing" — , May 8, 2007
Sarkozy criticized over vacation cruise
"It sends a disastrous signal to the country, notably the 53 percent of French people who earn less than 800 euros a month and who voted for him," said Patrick Menucci, former advisor to Ségolène Royal.
However, Sarkozy last week explained the reasons for taking what was supposed to an unpublicized retreat. He said he needed time to prepare himself for the heavy burden of state.
- Charles Bremner. "A wreath for Chirac, a yacht for Sarkozy" — , May 9, 2007
- Jon Boyle. "France's Sarkozy attacked over luxury cruise" — , May 8, 2007
Nigerian rebels force further oil shutdowns
"We intend to destroy between now and May 29 more pipes than we have destroyed in the last one year," Jomo Gbomo (suspected to be a pseudonym), spokesperson for MEND, said in an e-mail.
Up to 25% of the usual production is said to have been lost last year.
- Estelle Shirbon. "Nigerian oil bombings cut 150,000 bpd output" — , May 8, 2007
- "'Pipelines hit' in Nigeria delta" — , May 8, 2007
NATO forces attacked, civilians caught in the cross fire
At around 1am local time NATO forces came under attack from insurgents in Kandahar City, Afghanistan. During the battle one civilian was killed and another two were injured with conflicting reports as to who was to blame. First hand reports lay blame on the NATO troops however there has been no official confirmation either way as yet. The nationality of the NATO soldiers involved in the incident has not been released. Both NATO and the Afghan Police are investigating the civilian death and injuries.
- "NATO convoy ambushed, opens fire on civilians" — , May 8, 2007
- Noor Kahn. "NATO convoy ambushed in Afghanistan" — , May 8, 2007
DOE awards management of US nuclear lab to UC-led team
In Washington DC, Department of Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman announced the awarding of the Management & Operation (M&O) contract for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory today in a press conference. The M&O contract was awarded to a consortium comprised of the University of California, Bechtel National, BWX Technologies, Washington Group International, and Battelle, to be known as Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS) LLC.
"Livermore National Laboratory is a critical part of our nuclear weapons complex and has been for the last 55 years," Secretary Bodman said. "For the first time since the beginning of the laboratory a new contractor is coming to Livermore. We look forward to working with LLNS as Livermore continues its vital national security work."
- Erica Werner. "UC Team Gets Livermore Contract" — , May 8, 2007
- Robert C. Dynes, AP. "UC Team To Get Lawrence Livermore Management Contract" — , May 8, 2007
- Press Release: "DOE Selects Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC to Manage its Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory" — , May 8, 2007