Wikinews Shorts: November 2, 2007
Friday, November 2, 2007
Baseball's Dodgers hire Joe Torre
Grady Little had been the Dodgers manager until Tuesday when he resigned from the team with one year remaining on his three-year contract.
- Associated Press. "Torre hired to manage Dodgers" — , November 1, 2007
- Ken Gumick. "It's official: Dodgers hire Torre" — , November 1, 2007
- "FACTBOX: Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre" — , November 1, 2007
S&P CNX Nifty hits all-time high of 6,000
- BS Reporter/Mumbai. "Nifty touches intra-day high" — , November 2, 2007
- Zeenews Bureau. "Nifty hits 6000 for first time ever" — , November 2, 2007
American screenwriters' strike set for Monday
Writers for American film and television productions are scheduled to walk off the job Monday leaving entertainment programming struggling for scripts. The Writers Guild of America is demanding that their members receive payments for "new media" distribution of their works such as Internet downloads.
The union's contract expired on Wednesday. Production of many television series and films will continue in the short term because of scripts that are already written. However, a strike will have an immediate impact on talk shows whose writing relies on current events. The last strike by the Writers Guild in 1988 lasted nearly half a year.
- "Hollywood screenwriters set to strike Monday" — , November 2, 2007
- "Hollywood horror show: Writers to strike" — , November 2, 2007
- "Contract 2007" — , November 2, 2007