Wikinews Shorts: November 28, 2008
A compilation of brief news reports for Friday, November 28, 2008.
Standoff in Mumbai enters third day
The battle between the Indian security forces and terrorists which have taken over various targets across the city of Mumbai has entered the third day as the Indian security forces work to clear out and rescue remaining hostages as the death toll continues to rise.
Indian forces stormed the Oberoi Trident hotel, freeing over 200 hostages there. However, reports say that 24 to 30 hostages were still killed there. Meanwhile, Indian commandos also entered the Mumbai Chabad house, where they discovered the bodies of 5 hostages.
The last area of fighting that remains is at the historic Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel, where gunfire and explosions have been reported.
- "Five hostages killed in Jewish center, chaos at hotel" — , November 28, 2008
- Keith Bradsher and Somini Sengupta. "Indian Forces Battle Pockets of Militants" — , November 28, 2008
- Ravi Nessman. "Hostages said dead in Mumbai Jewish center" — , November 28, 2008
- Raymond Thibodeaux. "Hostages Freed as Mumbai Terror Attacks Spill Into Third Day" — , November 28, 2008
- Emily Wax, Rama Lakshmi and Debbi Wilgoren. "Indian Forces Battle Gunmen in Effort to Rescue Hostages" — , November 28, 2008
- "Battles rage for Mumbai hostages" — , November 28, 2008
- Randeep Ramesh, Vikram Dodd and Daniel Pepper, Owen Bowcott and Angela Balakrishnan. "Hostages dead at Mumbai Jewish centre, reports say" — , November 28, 2008
- Steve Herman. "More Foreign Guests in Besieged Hotels Freed" — , November 28, 2008
World's oldest person dies at age 115
Edna Parker, who became the world's oldest person over a year ago, has died at the age of 115 years and 220 days in a nursing home in Shelbyville, Indiana in the United States. Parker was born on April 20, 1893. She had been recognized as the world's oldest person by Guinness World Records ever since Yone Minagawa of Japan, who was four months older than her, died in 2007.
According to UCLA gerontologist Dr. Stephen Coles, Parker was the 14th oldest validated super centenarian in history.
- "Ind. woman, world's oldest person, dies at 115" — , November 27, 2008
- "Indiana woman listed as the world's oldest person dies at age 115" — , November 27, 2008
Congolese refugees flee for Uganda
According to the United Nations refugee agency, 13,000 people have fled into Uganda from a rebel advance in the Democratic Republic of Congo in just two days. Some of those who crossed the border said that their relatives were killed by the rebels of General Laurent Nkunda.
Nkunda's forces declared a ceasefire last week, but they say that this does not apply to operations against foreign militia. They are now attacking Rwandan Hutu militas.
- "Hundreds flee as Congo Tutsi rebels hunt Hutu foes" — , November 27, 2008
- "Congolese flee rebels for Uganda" — , November 27, 2008
Cancer spreads in American actor Patrick Swayze
The disease pancreatic cancer, which affects American actor Patrick Swayze, has spread to his liver. Reports say that he has begun to say his farewells to friends and family members in an apparent preparation for death.
Swayze, who just finished filming a new U.S. television show in Chicago, Illinois called The Beast, had publicly announced his condition in May. The reports come after an unknown source told the National Inquirer on Thursday that his cancer had spread.
- "Patrick Swayze's cancer spreads" — , November 28, 2008
- "Cancer Reportedly Spread To Patrick Swayze's Liver" — , November 27, 2008