Wikinews interviews Donald K. Allen, independent candidate in US presidential elections
Monday, July 7, 2008
While nearly all mainstream coverage of the 2008 Presidential election has focused on the Democratic and Republican candidates, the race for the White House also includes independents and third-party candidates. These prospects represent a variety of views that may not be acknowledged by the major party platforms.
Wikinews has reached out to these candidates throughout the campaign and now presents an interview with Donald K. Allen of Youngstown, Ohio, an independent presidential candidate who registered with the Federal Election Committee in January 2007.
((Wikinews)) Why do you want to be President?
- Donald K. Allen: We have had Republican or Democratic control of our government for 150 years, and as we have seen during the last few administrations, it has been very dysfunctional, arbitrary, and often harmful. I believe that electing another party man or woman would simply continue the bipartisanism that has repeatedly brought improvement to a standstill. Only an independent can work with both sides of the aisle and bring back unity for the benefit of this country and its citizens. I want to be President to make major improvements in America, from boosting our economy, to making health care affordable, to resolving the conflict in the Middle East. My platform is extensive, and I discuss many issues that are important to Americans, but are not being debated by the two party candidates, i.e. The Fair Tax and building the border fence/wall. I also hope to involve more Americans in government. Our Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, but instead we have evolved into a ruling class spending 30, 40, and sometimes 50 years in Congress.
((WN)) What are your three key policies?
- DA: My three key policies will be to: 1. Take care of America and Americans first. 2. Turn our economy around. 3. Secure our borders.
- As soon as it is before me, I will sign The Fair Tax Bill to eliminate Federal Income Tax on individuals, small businesses, and corporations, creating a truly positive incentive to build and produce in this country. It will also repeal the 16th Amendment and initiate a consumptive tax that will bring everyone into the tax base, instead of only the honest people who work for a paycheck. It will make economic incentive checks look like Band-Aids and put significantly more money in our pockets and in business' accounts to pay for health insurance or other needs. Eliminating corporate income tax will allow companies to invest in research and development, expand operations, hire more employees, pay for health care, build more factories, and create more jobs.
- I will order the Army Corps of Engineers to start on the east end and the Navy Seabees to begin on the west end and build an effective barrier on the Mexican border to stop the free flow of illegals into this country, as well as drug traffic. Defeatists say it will not work, but you won't be able to drive a pickup truck across the border anymore. Along with this will be a positive, secure identification system for guest workers who are here or wish to come here. Once the border fence is complete, I will extradite the 25% of our prison population who are illegal aliens.
- I will establish "loser pays" rule for litigation in this country, greatly reducing frivolous and phony lawsuits in America, freeing up our courts to deal with more serious matters on a timely basis. This will also reduce the cost of doing business for insurance companies, thereby reducing premiums and making health care more affordable, which will work well with The Fair Tax. Coinciding with this will be extreme pressure on Congress to pass true tort reform.
((WN)) Have you ever run for political office before?
- DA: No, and I consider that a plus. I will be able to view all issues objectively without prior obligations and debts owed to lobbyists, political action committees, corporations, and politically powerful people. I will answer only to you, the people of America, and I will always put you first.
((WN)) Can you win the 2008 Presidential election?
- DA: This is a land of tremendous opportunity, and possibility. It may not seem probable that I will win, but it is definitely possible. The key is our Nation's media, which is obligated through political pressure to focus on the two parties only, and give virtually no "face time" to anyone else. It is a closed system that makes it extremely difficult for any non-party candidate to even be noticed, but I keep trying. Right now Americans are receiving Pavlovian conditioning, hearing the name, "Obama," ten thousand times a day, and "McCain," six thousand times a day. Remember, the press is liberal. If enough people call in to radio talk shows asking to hear more about Donald K. Allen, and e-mailing television commentators like Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs, then perhaps you will see me or hear me. Otherwise it is up to getting name recognition out there so that when people vote, they can write me in.
((WN)) What made you choose Christopher D. Borcik as your running mate?
- DA: Chris is a viable, competent, and very capable individual who is a multiplier for the credibility of my campaign. As a Navy pilot and now a Delta pilot, he handles tremendous responsibility on a daily basis, and is trustworthy and serious about his work and committment to this campaign. He is a family man and a sincere Christian who applies his belief to his decision-making process, and puts his religion above political correctness. I met Chris at the first "Independents' Day" forum in Cincinnati, and liked him immediately. I'm totally happy that he consented to run as vice president.