Wikinews interviews Spanish Paralympic swimmer María Delgado
Saturday, August 10, 2013
Thursday at Madrid–Barajas Airport, Wikinews interviewed Spanish Paralympic swimmer , who is scheduled to compete at the 2013 that start on Monday in Montreal, Canada. Delgado will be 15 when she is to compete in Montreal.
Wikinews I'm Laura Hale, I'm interviewing María Delgado who is a Spanish swimmer and who is going to the 2013 IPC Swimming World Championships in Montreal, and you have received a lot of press attention from the Spanish press for being the next great Spanish Swimmer, [...] [Do you expect to medal in this tournament or in Río?]((es)) [Note: The translated question here differed from the one originally asked in English.]
- ((es)) : [laughs] I don't know.
WN The Spanish newspapers say she is the greatest swimmer, she is the next greatest Spanish Paralympic swimmer. Does she feel pressure from the media saying that she is a great swimmer to perform in a really high level? Does she feel pressure to win because the newspapers say it? Spanish newspapers say she is the next great Spanish Paralympic swimmer, that she is going to go to Río.
- Translator: She has also been future with "plan AXA", who bet on young swimmers Paralympics, and has been going at concentrations, which are younger with future have driven a little to fit in the world level of competition.((es))
- María Delgado: I'm on a plan for young talent, that is preparing for Rio 2016 and has selected us, and now we go to the World Championship.((es))
WN Because you are 15, how do you [...] balance going to school and competing?
- María Delgado: It's a little difficult but with hard work and effort it's doable. Study in the morning and train in the afternoon.((es))
WN Are you doing school work while you are in Montreal? How does you balance school? How do you do the school at the 15 years old and swim? Because that seems really hard to do both at once.((es))
- María Delgado: It is very difficult to combine and train while swimming, with swimming and studying.((es))
WN Because you're 15 do your parents go with you? Are your parents going to Montreal or are you all traveling solo by yourself?
- María Delgado: With my coaches. My parents aren't going.((es))
WN Only with your coach?((es))
- María Delgado: Yes.((es))
WN Is it scary to be on your own? Competing against all these 20 year olds and 30 year olds who've been to Paralympic games, or you just go "I'm 15, I can — el Mundo es mío [the world is mine]"?((es))
- María Delgado: I'm not scared and I go eagerly.((es))
WN Thank you.((es))