Wikinews interviews Spanish Paralympic swimmer Marta Gómez
Sunday, August 11, 2013
((Wikinews)) This is Laura Hale, I'm interviewing Marta Gómez, a Spanish Paralympic swimmer going to the 2013 IPC Swimming World Championships in Montreal. Are you going to Montreal and what strokes and distances are you competing in?
- ((es)) : I'll swim the 100 meter and 400 , and the 200 individual .
((WN)) Have you won any medals at previous championships?((es))
((WN)) Do you think you will win any medals in Montreal?((es))
- Marta Gomez : I will try to fight for a medal in the 400 freestyle which is my main event, but, well, [if I swim well and feel well] my options are clearer, but until you swim nothing is clear.((es))
- Marta Gomez : Yes.((es))
((WN)) And you didn't win any medals?
- Marta Gomez : No, I didn't win any medals.((es))
((WN)) What's the difference preparing for London to the World Championships?((es))
- Marta Gomez : That I have improved many aspects of technical level [like?] performance, and especially the psychological aspect that after London I have faced other competitions and I feel much more confident about myself and I have become more competitive.((es))
((WN)) Are you a swimmer with a visual impediment? You cannot see...?((es))
- Marta Gomez : ((es)) .
((WN)) When you swim, can you see the swimmers next to you?((es))
- Marta Gomez : Depending on the race, you will always be able to — some races like in short distances like the 100 meter ((es)) and 100 meter freestyle as it is too short to lose sight of your rivals, but for example in 400 meters, yes, but I can only see from the sides. I cannot see all the swimmers. In the 800 meters, seeing swimmers in the race is impossible: I fail to see them.
((WN)) When you swim, do you mostly think about your own race because you cannot fully see everyone? Do you race more against yourself because you can not see?((es))
- Marta Gomez : Yes, of course. Not being able to see your rivals you have to concentrate on your event because you may have nobody to [watch?], you may have a slight reference but you have to swim against yourself.((es))
((WN)) Why did you choose swimming as opposed to athletics or or some other sport?
- Marta Gomez : I have only practiced swimming since childhood, I've always liked the water and it's been the only sport I've practiced because I think it's a sport where you feel a lot of freedom and don't have any architectural barriers or anything.((es))
- Marta Gomez : De nada.((en))