Wikinews interviews Spanish Paralympic track and field athlete Alberto Suárez Laso
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
With the IPC Athletics World Championships scheduled to start this Friday, Wikinews interviewed Spanish long distance runner at Madrid–Barajas Airport Monday before he departed for Lyon, France. Suárez is scheduled to compete in two events, the T12 and events.
Wikinews Hi this is Laura Hale. I'm interviewing Alberto Suárez, who is a visually-impaired runner competing for Spain in the IPC World Championships. What events are you doing?((es))
- ((es)) : Marathon and 5000m.
WN You have a World Record? Are you going to smash it and give Spain a gold medal?((es))
- Alberto Suárez Laso: This time it's a bit complicated because I'm going a bit injured.((es))
- Alberto Suárez Laso : I finished first.
WN The injury has impacted you training?((es))
- Alberto Suárez Laso : For the last three weeks I've been doing gym and walking machine only. I have pain in my ((es)) .
WN So, as someone who writes from an international perspective, do you think Spain's got all that stuff to help you properly? The medical support, stuff to help you recuperate and be a great runner?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : I hope so. We're there, they've been treating me very well and I hope to be able to run without pain, which is the most important thing. I've got the training, but I need to remove that pain.((es))
WN Do you run with a guide?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : No.
WN Okay, so are you ?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : T-12.
WN Oh. So it's optional for a guy at T-12?
- Translator : He could, but he's not too badly impaired. He can run by himself.
WN So is your preference to run without a guide?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : It's complicated because of the pace I run at. I would require several guides, and it's hard to find them.((es))
WN Do most of your competitors run with guides?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : Not among the first ones. Well, there are a couple that do run with guides, but the rest don't.((es))
WN Is there anything you would like to say about this competition coming up that people from an international sporting community would find valuable to know?
- Alberto Suárez Laso : Mm, I don't know what to say!
WN Okay. Thank you very much!((es))
- Alberto Suárez Laso : You're welcome!((es))