Alaskan governor Sarah Palin chosen by McCain as Vice Presidential running mate
Friday, August 29, 2008
Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has been selected by United States Presidential candidate John McCain as his vice-presidential running-mate. The official announcement was made Friday at noon Eastern time (UTC-5) at a rally in Dayton.
News agencies began reporting Palin as the selection about an hour earlier, citing sources within the McCain campaign.
In introducing Palin, McCain said, "I have found the right partner to stand up to those who value their privileges over their responsibilities." Palin has an "outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies," he added.
"I will be honored to serve next to the next president of the United States," said Palin, accepting the position. "To have been chosen brings a great challenge. I know that it will demand the best I have to give, and I promise nothing less."
Palin has been the governor of Alaska since 2006, and previously served as councilwoman and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. Prior to this announcement, other potential picks included former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge, and Connecticut senator Joe Lieberman.
Palin's aides said they thought she remained in Alaska, however she secretly flew overnight to Ohio where McCain made the formal announcement.
- Press Release: "John McCain Selects Alaska Governor Sarah Palin As Vice Presidential Running Mate" — John McCain presidential campaign, 2008, August 29, 2008
- Ken Fireman and Lorraine Woellert. "Alaska Governor Palin Picked as McCain Running Mate" — , August 29, 2008
- Robert Barnes and Michael D. Shear. "McCain Chooses Alaska Governor Palin as Running Mate" — , August 29, 2008
- Liz Sidoti. "McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P." — , 29 August, 2008
- "McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate" — , 29 August, 2008
- Daniel Nasaw. "McCain picks Palin as running mate" — , August 29, 2008
- "McCain said to choose Alaska gov as running mate" — , August 29, 2008