American actor Morgan Freeman in serious condition after car accident
Monday, August 4, 2008
American Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman is in reported to be in serious condition but good spirits in a Tennessee hospital following a single car accident in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi in the Mississippi Delta. The 71-year-old actor was flown to the hospital by air ambulance with injuries to one arm.
Freeman, the Associated Press reports, "has a broken arm, broken elbow and minor shoulder damage, but is in good spirits," according to a statement from Donna Lee, Freeman's publicist.
Reports say that Freeman was driving Demaris Meyer — the owner of the 1997 Nissan Maxima — when the car flipped over two or three times around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. Meyer's condition has not been released. Meyers is reported to be a 48 year old family friend visiting from Memphis.
According to reports, Freeman over-corrected the vehicle when he may have dozed and began to go off the highway, causing the car to flip two or three times before landing in a ditch. The accident occurred on Highway 32 just north of Ruleville, Mississippi not far from where Freeman currently resides.
Clay McFerrin, editor of the Sun Sentinel in Charleston, told the Associated Press he arrived at the accident scene soon after the accident. "They had to use the jaws of life to extract him from the vehicle," McFerrin told the Associated Press. "He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point."
Freeman was one of the stars of the recent film The Dark Knight and is currently being treated at Memphis Regional Medical Center along with Meyer. Spokeswoman Kathy Stringer says that "Freeman is in a serious condition," but did not comment further. The hospital, known locally as "The Med" is an acute care facility for up to 150 patients.
According to Sgt. Ben Williams of the Mississippi Highway Patrol, "there's no indication that either alcohol or drugs were involved" in causing the accident. He also said that both Freeman and Meyer were wearing their safety belts.
- "Actor Morgan Freeman hospitalized at The MED after accident" — , August 4, 2008
- Danielle Harling. "Morgan Freeman Seriously Injured In Car Accident" — , August 4, 2008
- Holbrook Mohr. "Morgan Freeman injured in car accident in Miss." — , August 4, 2008
- "Freeman critically injured in crash" — , August 4, 2008
- "Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman injured in car accident in Mississippi" — , August 4, 2008
- "Morgan Freeman badly injured in accident" — , August 4, 2008
- "Freeman injured in car accident" — , August 4, 2008
- Associated Press. "Morgan Freeman injured in car accident" — , August 4, 2008
- Holbrook Mohr. "Actor Morgan Freeman is injured in car accident" — , August 4, 2008