Back to article
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
How the hell is this newsworthy? A high school basketball team?
- The story adds variety to Wikinews's work. I think it's acceptable. Benny the mascot (talk) 22:07, 2 January 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, Local articles are acceptable on WN. You could write one about where you live. ;) Calebrw (talk) 23:32, 2 January 2010 (UTC)
From Wiki's guidelines on newsworthiness:
"News is relevant. Being Wikinews — global and Internet-based — stories about local news may need to have their relevance explained for our international audience. Stories should appeal to a large number of people."
What relevance is there for anybody outside of Illinois? Even in Illinois, I do not think many would even care about a girl's highschool basketball tournament. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 22:47, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
- You have twisted the words beyond all meaning. The article explains the local importance; failure to do so would have been expecting us, for example, to know what the tournament was already without explaining that it was a school competition. Basically, it is a reminder that your article about Nowhere, Illinois must be comprehensible to someone who just bought the first laptop in 100 miles of Nowhere, Zimbabwe. Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 22:59, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
- You can even take a look at Category:Benet Academy. All of the articles there were approved as well, and it's probably the most local category here on Wikinews! Benny the mascot (talk) 04:28, 6 January 2010 (UTC)