Grenade attack on Thai protesters kills one, injures at least 20
Thursday, November 20, 2008
A grenade attack on People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters occupying Thailand's Government House compound has killed a 48-year-old man. Media reports indicate that the blast injured between 20 and 29 others. This is the third attack on protesters occupying the Prime Minister's offices since August.
The grenade attack took place in the early hours of this morning, 03:30 local time (20:30 UTC). PAD security details have prevented police from examining the crime scene. Local police commander, Somchai Chueyklin, told AFP they were waiting for forensic officials and permission from the protesters to enter the Government House compound.
One of the key leaders of the PAD, Sondhi Limthongkul, has accused the government of being behind the attack. Following meetings in the wake of the explosion, the anti-government protesters have announced plans for a protest and march this Sunday aimed at toppling the government and preventing amendment of the country's constitution. The PAD view the government of the People's Power Party as a continuation of the "Thaksin regime" that was deposed by a bloodless military coup on September 19, 2006. Plans by the government of PM Somchai Wongsawat to amend the constitution are seen as part of an effort to rehabilitate the fugitive ex-premier, Thaksin Shinawatra.
The blast comes just one day after a six-day 'cease-fire' came to an end following ceremonies for the cremation of the King's sister, Galyani Vadhana, who died of cancer earlier this year. Last Friday's lavish ceremony was one of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's few public appearances this year. At 80 years of age, the revered monarch is the world's longest serving head of state.
Related news 
- "Thaksin to return to Thai politics" — Wikinews, November 19, 2008
- "UK revokes visa of former Thai PM" — Wikinews, November 8, 2008
- "Thailand's fugitive ex-PM sentenced to two years for corruption" — Wikinews, October 22, 2008
- "Sixth arrest warrant issued for Thailand's former PM Thaksin" — Wikinews, October 15, 2008
- "Thai Queen attends protester cremation as report indicates explosive tear gas used" — Wikinews, October 14, 2008
- Ian MacKinnon. "Fatal grenade attack on Thai anti-government protestors" — , November 20, 2008
- "Fatal blast hits Bangkok protest" — , November 20, 2008
- "Bangkok bomb" — , November 20, 2008
- "PAD to hold mass gathering Sunday" — , November 20, 2008
- "1 killed, 26 injured in explosion in Government House" — , November 20, 2008
- Associated Press. "Thais prepare for cremation of king's sister" — , November 14, 2008