Judge orders YouTube to hand over video view records
Friday, July 4, 2008
Google to turn over such information., which owns several U.S. television networks such as and , launched a $1 billion lawsuit last year alleging that YouTube wasn't doing enough to stop its copyrighted material from appearing in over 160,000 unauthorized clips that have been viewed over 1.5 billion times. Viacom argued that since they claimed that copyright material is more popular than user-made videos, they needed access to the information to strengthen the case, in which US District Court judge agreed and ordered
Google argued that this would cause privacy issues, but Stanton said it was just speculation. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San Francisco-based privacy advocate group, said the ruling was "a setback to privacy rights, and will allow Viacom to see what you are watching on YouTube." said EFF's senior staff attorney Kurt Opsahl.
Viacom had also requested for the code used to search keywords for each video and access to Google's advertising database to see if Google was receiving revenue from ads from the alleged videos, but these requests were denied by the judge, arguing that code and ad data was too valuable.
There are concerns that Google is violating thewhich allows a video provider service to not to be sued if it removes copyrighted material.
Related news 
- "Google claims that lawsuit threatens Internet" — Wikinews, May 27, 2008
- "Viacom sues YouTube, Google, for more than 1 billion dollars" — Wikinews, March 13, 2007
- "YouTube ordered to hand over user details" — , July 3, 2008
- Jessica Guynn. "Google must hand over YouTube data, judge rules" — , July 3, 2008