Luis Fortuño is elected new governor of Puerto Rico
Sunday, November 9, 2008
The candidate of the Puerto Rico in the general elections held on November 4, 2008. Fortuño obtained more than 52% of the votes., , was elected the new governor of
The other candidates were the current governor of Puerto Rico,of the , — the , and — the .
In addition to obtaining the governor position, the New Progressive Party retained the position ofand won a majority of seats in the . The Puerto Rican Independence Party lost its franchise as a political party because it received less than 3% of the votes, the level required by the electoral law. The results also indicate that the Puerto Ricans for Puerto Rico Party may have lost its franchise too.
Related news 
- "Governor of Puerto Rico indicted in campaign finance probe" — Wikinews, March 27, 2008
- Comisión Estatal de Elecciones. "ELECCIONES GENERALES 2008, NOCHE DEL EVENTO" — November 7, 2008 (Spanish)
- Fortuno 2008. "Press release: Top Hispanic Republican Wins Gubernatorial Election in Puerto Rico" — , November 4, 2008
- Danica Coto, AP. "Puerto Rico ousts indicted governor" — , November 5, 2008
- AP. "Con esperanza de no perder la franquicia" — , November 6, 2008 (Spanish)