Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton present 2012 International Women of Courage Awards
Friday, March 9, 2012
The 2012 recipients were Maryam Durani, Pricilla de Oliveira Azevedo, Zin Mar Aung,, Hana Elhebshi, Aneesa Ahmed, , , Hawa Abdallah Mohammed Salih, and Şafak Pavey.
The award winners come from diverse backgrounds. Maryam Durani is a member of Rio de Janeiro Military police. Zin Mar Aung is a Burmese democracy activist. Jineth Bedoya Lima is a journalist from Colombia. Hana Elhebshi is a political activist from Libya. Aneesa Ahmed is an advocate against gender-based violence in the Maldives and is the Deputy Minister of Women's Affairs. Shad Begum is a human rights activist in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Samar Badawi is a proponent of women's suffrage in Saudi Arabia. Hawa Abdallah Mohammed Salih is an advocate for internally displaced persons in Darfur. Safak Pavey is the first disabled woman elected to the Turkish Parliament.'s , and director of the non-profit Khadija Kubra Women’s Association for Culture. Pricilla de Oliveira Azevedois is a member of the
Now in its fifth year, 46 women from 34 nations have received the award. International Women’s Day has been observed globally for more than a century to honor the achievements of women.
- "2012 International Women of Courage Award" — , March 8, 2012
- "2012 International Women of Courage Award Winners" — , March 8, 2012
- "Women Honored for Fighting for World ‘As They Know it Should Be’" — , March 8, 2012
- "Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton celebrate International Women’s Day at the State Department" — , March 8, 2012
- "First Lady Michelle Obama Speaks at the International Women of Courage Awards" — , March 8, 2012
- International Women’s Day
- "International Women’s Day: 10 ways to celebrate" — , March 8, 2012
- "International Women's Day: How it's celebrated around the globe" — , March 8, 2012