Poland win 2-1 against Costa Rica in Group A
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Poland came from behind with two set-piece goals to beat Costa Rica in Group A, Tuesday.
The result of the match gave Poland three points but they did not qualify for the next round of the Fifa World Cup as Ecuador had six and Germany nine. Costa Rica left the 2006 World Cup without a victory in three games.
Though the pace of the game was rather slow in the heat the outcome did seem to matter to the two teams who both wanted a World Cup win.
Referee Shamsul Maidin produced his yellow card ten times; five for each side, which was to that date the highest caution tally of the tournament.
Alexandre Guimaraes's Central Americans had the best start with a goal from a freekick. Ronald Gomez fired hard and low through the wall and it somehow went between an off-balanced Artur Boruc's legs.
Jose Porras in the Costa Rica goal then helped Poland to an equaliser. Porras missed at the near post a corner Maciej Zurawski clipped to the far post. Polish defender Bartosz Bosacki notched his first international goal off the underside of the crossbar.
Another set-piece in the second half led to the winner for Bosacki. Jacek Krzynowek delivered from another corner, again to Bosacki, who headed beyond Porras.
|June 20, 2006
|Costa Rica||1–2||Poland||AWD Arena|
|Gómez 25'||Bosacki 33', 65'|
- 18 J Porras
- 02 J Drummond (Substituted: 70' H Wallace )
- 12 L Gonzalez 76'
- 04 M Umana 17'
- 03 L Marin 47'+
- 07 C Bolanos (Substituted: 78' A Saborio )
- 08 M Solis
- 10 W Centeno
- 17 G Badilla 56'
- 09 P Wanchope
- 11 R Gomez 47'+ (Substituted: 82' C Hernandez )
- 01 A Boruc 91'
- 04 M Baszczynski 60'
- 06 J Bak 24'
- 19 B Bosacki
- 14 M Zewlakow 29'
- 08 J Krzynowek
- 10 M Szymkowiak
- 15 E Smolarek (Substituted: 85' G Rasiak)
- 16 A Radomski 18' (Substituted: 64' M Lewandowski)
- 21 I Jelen
- 09 M Zurawski (Substituted: 45' P Brozek)
Fifa World Cup Group A table June 20, 2006
- "Costa Rica 1-2 Poland" — , June 20, 2006
- "Fifa match report" — , June 20, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|
- This article is about the 2006 World Cup; for more World Cup news visit the World Cup portal.