Security threats directed at US Democrats
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is looking into threats made against Democratic members of the US House of Representatives. The threats were directed at members of Congress who supported the recent health care reform legislation.
representative 's brother's home had its gas line cut early Wednesday. Another Democrat, of , had a brick thrown through her offices window.
House Majority leaderheld a press conference about the threats and multiple instances of vandalism involving the offices of Congresspersons who voted on the . Hoyer said that "[t]he incidents of threats whether in person or through telephones or through other communication devices, have given great concern to members, for the safety of themselves and their families."
House Minority leadersaid that the incidents show the American peoples' feelings for the new bill, but "violence and threats are unacceptable." He added, "that's not the American way, we need to take that anger and channel it into positive change."
Related news 
- "US House of Representatives passes health care bill" — Wikinews, March 22, 2010
- "Threats linked to health votes prompt security" — , March 24, 2010
- "FBI Investigates Possible Threats Directed at House Democrats" — , March 24, 2010
- "FBI investigating threats against Democrats after health care vote" — , March 24, 2010
- Jake Sherman. "Steny Hoyer: Members are at risk" — , March 24, 2010