Sondhi continues using Thailand Weekly show to attack PM
Saturday, January 14, 2006
In his weekly open-air version of the popular Thailand Weekly show, outspoken Government critic and founder of Manager Media, Sondhi Limthongkul launched another series of stinging attacks against the country's Prime Minister.
Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra was accused of planning a cabinet reshuffle in an effort to deflect public attention away from allegations of wrongdoing and corruption. Sondhi alleged that politicians with poor public images would be recruited into the cabinet, and that such was a scheme to overshadow accusations of corruption that have been levelled at the Prime Minister – mainly by Sondhi himself.
Sondhi vowed to continue pursuing Thaksin for answers to questions raised on the Thailand Weekly show about government corruption.
Sondhi went on to make further allegations against the Prime Minister, claiming that free trade agreements made with China and Australia were aimed at benefitting Thaksin's family business interests. Sondhi claims the agreement with Australia would hit local dairy farmer and liquor producers as imports from Australia would be allowed without tariffs. Garlic and onion farmers were claimed to be impacted by the agreement with China whilst the Thaksin family telecom businesses could tap into the Chinese market.
Sondhi's show finished off with a protest march to Government House. The media tycoon led a 3,000 stong crowd with former senator Pratin Santiprapop. By 11pm the number of demonstrators outside Government house was said to be 11,000. Pratin addressed the crowd calling for the resignation of the Prime Minister over a comment he claimed was disrespectful to the King.
Related news 
- "Thai PM sues media critic for one billion Baht" — Wikinews, November 17, 2005
- "Thai PM sues newspaper for 500 million baht" — Wikinews, October 12, 2005
- "Thai media mogul drops newspaper takeover attempt" — Wikinews, September 18, 2005
- "Thai political talk show taken off during media buyout attempt" — Wikinews, September 15, 2005
- "Sondhi says Thaksin to reshuffle Cabinet to divert public attention" — , January 13, 2006
- "Sondhi alleges Thaksin signs FTA with Australia, China to benefit his IP Star" — , January 13, 2006
- "Sondhi leads anti-Thaksin protesters to rally in front of Government House" — , January 13, 2006