Three police officers dead in Moncton, New Brunswick shooting
Thursday, June 5, 2014
Three police officers have been shot dead and two have been injured in a shooting in, . Police have said the single gunman started shooting following a call to the police last night at around 19:20 (2320 ) and is still being pursued by the .
The police have said they are looking for a 24-year-old man named Justin Bourque who they believe to be "armed and dangerous". Bourque has been depicted as dressed inclothing and carrying firearms. Bourque was an employee of a local store until he was fired in 2010. Caitlin Isaac, a former colleague of Bourque, said he "always seemed to have a problem with authority" but otherwise "seemed friendly enough". Isaac said Bourque lost his job because of "attitude related issues, being defiant, not doing what he was supposed to be doing".
Issac also recalled a camping trip with Bourque: "A few people from work went camping one weekend, and he came, and brought his rifle with him, which he held onto the whole night while drinking. That kind of freaked us out, so we didn't invite him the next time."
The police are advising residents to stay inside with the doors locked and outside lights turned on. Entrances to the affected area have been closed off and some bus services have been cancelled. A police helicopter is flying above the area. Staff Sgt Julie Gagnon told the press: "The RCMP received a call at 7:20 p.m. Atlantic Time of a man wearing camouflage clothing, carrying firearms, and walking into the woods".
Aaccount allegedly belonging to Bourque contains a number of pro-gun and anti-police posts. The Facebook account has reportedly added two new friends during the shooting. There has not been any confirmation that the shooter and the Facebook user are connected. The police have asked residents in Moncton to not post their observations of events on social media sites.
- Dana Ford and Greg Botelho. "Shooter on the loose after killing 3 officers in New Brunswick, Canada" — , June 5, 2014
- Josh Elliott. "Person of interest: What we know about Justin Bourque" — , June 5, 2014
- Rob Williams. "Canada shooting: Gunman on the loose after three police officers shot dead in gun battle" — , June 5, 2014
- "Moncton shooting: 3 RCMP officers dead, 2 wounded" — , June 5, 2014
- Aaron Gell. "Exclusive: Ex-Coworker Says Suspected Cop-Killer 'Wanted To Go Out With A Bang'" — , June 5, 2014