Turkish-Armenian journalist killed in Turkey
Friday, January 19, 2007
A Turkish-Armenian journalist, Hrant Dink, was assassinated today at the age of 52 in front of the Agos newspaper office, at the Istanbul district of Osmanbey, where he worked as the editor and a journalist. Witnesses say that after being shot, he was able to stand up for a while, extending his hand in search of help, which never came.
Dink, a brave journalist who was not afraid to discuss one of Turkey's most controversial issues, clearly called what happened to Armenians in 1915 when the land was being governed by the Ottoman Empire the Armenian Genocide. As BBC reports, he
|said the word did not need to be accepted by other Turks for it to remain true in his mind.|
His body was kept for an hour on the pavement by Turkish security forces.
The assassin was reported to be about 18-19 years old, wearing a white hat and jeans. Two other suspects were taken into custody at the Taksim district. A Turkish TV station broadcasted the images of the killer. Click here for the broadcast.
Following his father's assassination, Dink's daughter, referring to the fascist obsession with pure blood, said:
They shot my father. Is their blood purer now? They were afraid to face him, they shot him in the back.
All vacations were canceled for Turkish security forces in Istanbul.
The patriarch of Turkish Armenians, Misrob Mutafyan, announced a 15-day mourning following the assassination. Mr. Mutafyan called the assassination "barbarian, treacherous, and dastardly".
While the body was taken away, a group applaused Dink, uttered "Long live peoples' brotherhood", "The assassin government will pay", and "Hrants will not die". They then marched to the Taksim Square. Another protest march was organized at the capital of Turkey, Ankara.
Turkey witnessed 62 journalist assassinations after 1909, the last before Hrant Dink being Ahmet Taner Kışlalı in 1999.
- Chris Morris. "Turkish-Armenian writer shunned silence" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Hrant Dink öldürüldü (Hrant Dink is killed)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Emniyette izinler kaldırıldı (All vacations for Turkish security forces are cancelled)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Dink için 15 gün yas (15 days of mourning for Dink)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Hrant Dink suikasta kurban verilen 62'nci gazeteci (Hrant Dink is the 62nd journalist assassinated in Turkey)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- ""İnsanlık dışı davranış" ("Inhumane behavior")" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Kızı: Kanları daha mı temiz oldu (His daughter: "Is their blood purer now?")" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Gazeteci Hrant Dink silahlı saldırıda öldü (Journalist Hrant Dink assassinated)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Ermeni Cemaati’nde 15 gün yas (Armenian Community announces 15 days of mourning)" — , Jan 19, 2007
- "Hepimiz Hrant'ız yürüyüşü (The March of "We are each a Hrant")" — , Jan 19, 2007
- Jandarmanın Hrant Dink'in katiline gösterdiği ilgi ve çektiği fotolar videosu
- Jandarmanın katil ile beraber çektirdiği fotoğraflar
- "Militant group 'protests' placards used in Armenian-Turkish journalist's funeral" — Wikinews, January 25, 2007
- "Two major political parties protest placards used in Armenian-Turkish journalist's funeral" — Wikinews, Jan 25, 2007
- "Murdered journalist Hrant Dink feared for safety: brother" — Wikinews, January 22, 2007
- "Suspected assassin of Turkish-Armenian journalist arrested" — Wikinews, January 21, 2007
- Hrant Dink at Turkish Wikipedia (Turkish)
- Agos official web site, Istanbul (Turkish)
- Hrant Dink's columns at Birgün newspaper (Turkish)
- An article by Hrant Dink in Turkish Wikisource (Turkish)
- Another article by Hrant Dink in Turkish Wikisource (Turkish)