UK to ban export of lethal injection drugs to US
Saturday, April 16, 2011
The three drugs are, and .
Cable issued a statement saying, "We oppose the death penalty in all circumstances and are clear that British drugs should not be used to carry out lethal injections. That is why we introduced a control onlast year—the first of its kind in the world. And it is also why we are now controlling the export of the other drugs used in lethal injections in the US."
Cable said he was requesting all countries in the EU to do the same in order to effectively control the export of these drugs.
Britain blocked the export of sodium thiopental in November after the human rights group Georgia and Arizona, by a small wholesaler in London. The drug is legally used for lethal injections in the US but is in short supply there.sued the government to stop its exportation to the US. Sodium thiopental had been sold to the in two states,
Pentobarbital, a sedative, is used to control continuous, as well as to treat a variety of other medical conditions. After sodium thiopental became scarce in the US late last year, the US began to use pentobarbital as a substitute.
Thesaid in December that executions in the US had declined in 2010 compared to previous years, partly as a result of a sodium thiopental shortage.
|We oppose the death penalty in all circumstances and are clear that British drugs should not be used to carry out lethal injections.|
—Vince Cable, UK Business Secretary
The UK government said in a press release: "Having consulted UK suppliers of these drugs and other interested parties, the Government is satisfied that legitimate medical trade will not be hampered by the decision."
Related news 
- "Ohio executes two-time murderer" — Wikinews, April 13, 2011
- "Final US manufacturer ceases production of lethal injection drug; executions delayed" — Wikinews, January 25, 2011
- Reuters. "Britain to ban export to U.S. of execution drugs" — , April 15, 2011
- United Press International. "Britain: No execution drugs to U.S." — , April 15, 2011
- Press Release: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. "UK: Government bans export of lethal injection drugs to the US" — nds.coi.gov.uk, April 14, 2011