'Last Ottoman' dies at age 97
Friday, September 25, 2009
Istanbul. He had spent one week in hospital at the time of his death., the last surviving to the , died on Wednesday after a at the age of 97. His wife, who was by his side, when he died, confirmed this was the case. The location of his death is a hospital in
Osman was born on August 18, 1912 atin Istanbul, . He was a former Prince of the Ottoman Empire and the 43rd Head of the dethroned House of Osman from 1994 until his death. If the throne were reconsecrated, he would have assumed the name Sultan Osman V.
He was fourth in line to rule when the monarchy was abolished in 1923, and the modern Republic of Turkey replaced the Imperial Dynasty. He was regarded by as the "last Ottoman".
- "'Last Ottoman' dies in Istanbul" — , September 24, 2009
- "Ertugrul Osman, Link to Ottoman Dynasty, Dies at 97" — , September 24, 2009
- "Head of the former Ottoman dynasty dies" — , September 24, 2009
- "Osmanoğlu, the eldest Ottoman dynasty member, passes away" — , September 24, 2009
- "Not Quite a Castle, but It's Home" — , March 26, 2006