America's Cup: Team New Zealand wins over Alinghi in second race
Monday, June 25, 2007
Team New Zealand, racing with NZL-92, crossed the start line three seconds ahead of Alinghi's yacht, SUI-100. But Alinghi led the race at the first mark by 13 seconds, though near the ending of the race, Team New Zealand managed to overtake Alinghi to lead the final leg of the race by 28 seconds.
Former Alinghi and Team New Zealand skipper, Russell Coutts said that the latest win for Team New Zealand will act as a big boost for them. Ray Davis, Team New Zealand after-guard, said, "It’s been huge for the team to get a win on the board in the America’s Cup. It has been a long time coming for Emirates Team New Zealand."
Dan Cowie, Team New Zealand trimmer, said, "As we said yesterday there are two very even boats out there. We didn’t learn a whole lot more today."
The next race is scheduled for tomorrow, Monday being a race-off day.
The past three consecutive America's Cup challenges have been all whitewash victories, and five of the last six challenges have also been whitewashes.
- "America's Cup: Alinghi wins first race over Team New Zealand" — Wikinews, June 24, 2007
- "Team New Zealand come from behind to level Americas Cup" — , June 25, 2007
- Press Release: "Emirates Team New Zealand wins race two" — , June 25, 2007
- Warren Douglas. "Americas Cup: Emirates Team New Zealand post race quotes" — , June 24, 2007
- Christopher Clarey. "America's Cup: Team New Zealand comes from behind to win second race" — , June 24, 2007