Australian broadcaster projects Liberal win in Ryde district, New South Wales, two weeks after state election
Thursday, April 13, 2023
By Saturday, Lane was leading by 50 votes out of 50,800, with he andcandidate Lyndal Howison both at 50% as workers counted .
Although it was considered a safe electorate according to The Guardian, Ryde swung 8.9% against the Liberal Party.
Lane, once mayor of the, released a statement saying: "I love Ryde, and will continue to fight every day to deliver on our positive vision for our community and its future" and "I look forward to working hard for everyone in Ryde, no matter who they voted for".
|I look forward to working hard for everyone in Ryde, no matter who they voted for.|
Howison said: "Ryde is my home and regardless of the final result, I'll always fight for what's best for our community".
The lead had flipped between Lane and Howison since the March 25 election.
Last week, before the projection, Howison said it was "not looking good for the Labor campaign" but her party would wait for more votes to be counted "before we call it".
Labor won 45 seats, falling two short of a, which The Guardian and predict will push newly elected Premier into talks with the . The crossbench consists of nine independents and three .
Liberalwon Ryde by 18% in the 2019 election, though that race saw a 2.6% swing towards Labor. Dominello, the Member for Ryde since 2008, retired prior to the election; Lane has called him "a close friend and a mentor".
- "NSW STATE ELECTION RESULTS 2023 State Electoral District of Ryde" — , April 8, 2023 (date of access)
- "Ryde (Key Seat) - NSW Election 2023" — , April 8, 2023 (date of access)
- "Ryde (Key Seat) - NSW Election 2019" — , April 8, 2023 (date of access)
- Donna Lu, Australian Associated Press. "NSW Liberals win final lower-house seat of Ryde two weeks after state election" — , April 8, 2023
- Australian Associated Press. "Last seat in NSW election called as Liberals claim Ryde" — , April 8, 2023
- Simran Gill, Sue Daniel. "Sydney seat of Ryde won by Liberal party candidate Jordan Lane two weeks after state election" — , April 7, 2023