BBC to cut Electric Proms for financial reasons
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
The BBC have announced they are to axe annual music festival from their schedule for financial reasons. The festival first took place in October 2006. The 2011 event will not go ahead, with last year's festival being the last.
, controller of BBC Radio 2, said he was "disappointed" with the decision to cancel the festival. He said "In the current climate, we are faced with making difficult decisions, including how best to deliver high-quality live music programming throughout the year in light of continuing efficiency savings. I feel that Radio 2 can achieve the same impact of the Electric Proms in an alternative, more cost-effective way. I'm disappointed that the lifetime of Electric Proms has come to an end, but very proud of its fantastically rewarding run of creating new moments in music for the past five years."
During the festival's five year run it has featured performances from stars such as, , and .
The decision to axe the festival comes at a time when the BBC are planning a 20% savings cut. Last week BBC director generalannounced 650 job losses after dropping five languages from the .
- "BBC Radio 2 axes Electric Proms" — , Janaury 31, 2010
- "Electric Proms cancelled by BBC" — , January 31, 2011