Cameron, Salmond sign deal for referendum on Scottish independence
Thursday, October 18, 2012
United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron and Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond have signed a deal for a referendum on Scottish independence to be held in the autumn of 2014. The deal, signed in the Scottish capital, Edinburgh, gives the Scottish Government clear legal power to hold a referendum. The deal lapses if a referendum is not held before the end of 2014.
The deal, signed on Monday, achieves a compromise between the proposals of Mr Cameron and Mr Salmond. Sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds are to be allowed to vote in the referendum. Mr Salmond favoured this. However, there is to be only one question on the ballot paper, a simple 'yes' or 'no' question on whether Scotland should be independent. Mr Salmond had proposed a second question on the ballot paper, on so-called '-max'. This would have given Scotland full tax-raising powers while still remaining inside the United Kingdom if voters rejected independence.
The pro- and anti-independence campaigns have been setting out their positions. The pro-independence campaign, which is led by former Scottish National Party and the , seeks to convince voters of the benefits of independence. Mr Salmond said: "The agreement will see Scotland take an important step toward independence, and the means to create a fairer and more prosperous Scotland. I look forward to working positively for a yes vote in 2014." The anti-independence campaign Better Together is headed up by former U.K. chancellor and is supported by the , the , and the . Mr Darling suggested Scotland leaving the union would mean a pointlessly "uncertain future".news chief and supported by Mr Salmond's
Currently, Scotland is run through devolution. Thecan make laws on 'devolved' issues, which include health, education, and policing. However, the still has power over 'reserved' issues like defence, foreign affairs, and taxation.
- "Better Together" — , October 18, 2012 (date of access)
- "Friends of the Union" — , October 18, 2012 (date of access)
- "Home rule within a federal UK best for Scotland" — , October 17, 2012
- "Scottish referendum: Independence Campaigners put forward their arguments" — , October 16, 2012
- "Campaigning as 'Better Together" — , October 16, 2012
- "Cameron and Salmond hail Scottish referendum deal" — , October 15, 2012
- "Scottish Green party votes to join pro-independence Yes campaign" — , October 6, 2012
- "Exclusive: Scots want more powers, not independence" — , January 16, 2012
- "Devolution: A beginner's guide" — , April 29, 2010