Cyprus detains weapon-laden ship
Sunday, February 1, 2009
On Friday, authorities in Cyprus said that they had detained a ship carrying the nation's flag. The ship, which had initially docked at Port Said in Egypt, went to the Cypriot port of Limassol after Egyptian authorities ordered it to leave.
In Limassol, the container ship, the Monchegorsk, was anchored and boarded by Cypriot authorities. It still remains anchored there as of Sunday. The Famagusta Gazette cited well-informed sources as saying the ship contains specialized components for the manufacture of rockets.
"We are investigating what it is carrying and for this reason we have to handle things very responsibly and with a great deal of seriousness, without a lot of media noise," President Dimitris Christofias said.
"It is a problem for us that we are forced to accept a ship under the Cypriot flag which is carrying whatever [it] is carrying, which is contrary or in conflict with Security Council resolutions," Christofias added.
On Sunday, Cyprus foreign minister Markos Kyprianou said that the government was still investigating whether the ship was in violation of United Nations resolutions.
"Our aim is to resolve the matter in the best possible way without harming the interests of the Republic of Cyprus ... The less that is said the better," said Marios Garoyian, president of the House of Representatives of Cyprus.
- "All eyes on ship off Cyprus coast" — , February 1, 2009
- Barak Ravid. "Ship in Cyprus said to carry arms from Iran" — , February 1, 2009
- "Cyprus to search suspected Hamas arms ship again" — , January 31, 2009
- Menelaos Hadjicostis. "Cyprus searches suspected Hamas-arms ship" — , January 30, 2009
- Ori Lewis. "Cyprus stops Iranian arms ship to Syria-report" — , January 30, 2009
- Maria Petrakis. "Cyprus Searches Ship Amid Suspicion of Iranian Bid to Arm Hamas" — , January 30, 2009
- "Cyprus searches ship accused by US of carrying Iranian weapons to Hamas" — , January 30, 2009