Death of Michael Jackson causes last minute changes to films and dramas
Saturday, June 27, 2009
The death of Michael Jackson on Thursday has caused several last-minute changes to films and television dramas.
In Hollywood, Brüno, the film whose premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre last night prevented fans from reaching Jackson's own star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame, was edited at the last minute to remove a scene involving La Toya Jackson. The scene involved the lead character, the eponymous Bruno played by Sacha Baron Cohen, interviewing La Toya Jackson, making jokes about the pitch of Michael's voice and his famous white glove, and pestering her for Michael's home telephone number.
The scene may or may not remain cut for the theatrical release of the film, to occur in a few weeks' time. Speaking at a party after the premiere, the film's director, Larry Charles, said "We decided to take it out for tonight and we'll reassess before the release whether to keep it out."
In the United Kingdom, the June 26 episode of the BBC's flagship soap opera, EastEnders, which is normally recorded several months ahead of transmission, was altered at the last minute to insert an extra scene where character Denise Wicks mentions Jackson's death to Patrick Trueman.
- "News of Michael Jackson's death overloads Internet sites and sparks hoaxes" — Wikinews, June 26, 2009
- "Fans mourn death and celebrate life of Michael Jackson around the world" — Wikinews, June 26, 2009
- "Singer and songwriter Michael Jackson dies at age 50" — Wikinews, June 25, 2009
- Christy Lemire. "La Toya Jackson scene removed from `Bruno' movie" — , June 26, 2009
- Xan Brooks. "Michael Jackson: LaToya scene pulled from Bruno before US premiere" — , June 26, 2009
- Tamara Hardingham-gill and Liz Hodgson. "La Toya interview cut from Bruno film's LA premiere after Michael Jackson's sudden death" — , June 26, 2009
- Arifa Akbar. "A station moonwalk as UK mourns Jackson" — , June 26, 2009
- The Press Association. "Jacko news spreads to Eastenders" — , June 26, 2009
- Mark Jefferies. "Michael Jackson death causes EastEnders to shoot scene at last minute today for TONIGHT'S episode" — , June 26, 2009