Ferry hijacked to protest slogans in assassinated Turkish-Armenian journalist's funeral
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Previously, two major Turkish political parties protested these placards. In addition, a terrorist organization 'protested' these placards by placing a package, which was made to look like a bomb, to the wall of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM).
Tonight, a ferry was hijacked by a militant named Nihat Acar. Nihat Acar told security forces that he was a member of "Patriotic Turkish Guerrillas Union" ("Vatansever Türk Fedaileri Birliği") and that he placed explosives to the ferry. After 2 hours, Acar willingly surrendered to the Turkish security forces and stated that there were no explosives. The Turkish police is searching all the vehicles just in case.
A witness said:
When we were in the middle of the sea, an activist from downstairs opened a Turkish flag. A little later he started making announcements, I think from the conning tower.
The militant stated that he hijacked the ferry to protest the "We are all Armenian" slogans used in Mr. Dink's funeral.
- "Lapseki-Gelibolu seferini yapan arabalı vapuru kaçırıldı (Free going from Lapseki to Gelibolu was hijacked)" — , Jan 28, 2007
- "Armed man held after Turkish ferry hijack bid" — , Jan 27, 2007
- "Militant group 'protests' placards used in Armenian-Turkish journalist's funeral" — Wikinews, Jan 25, 2007
- "Two major political parties protest placards used in Armenian-Turkish journalist's funeral" — Wikinews, January 25, 2007
- "Murdered journalist Hrant Dink feared for safety: brother" — Wikinews, January 22, 2007
- "Suspected assassin of Turkish-Armenian journalist arrested" — Wikinews, January 21, 2007
- "Turkish-Armenian journalist killed in Turkey" — Wikinews, January 19, 2007