Fire breaks out at Chester Zoo, England
Monday, December 17, 2018
A fire occurred on Saturday at UK, in a building the zoo says is the largest indoor zoological exhibit in the UK, at 11:30 a.m. local time ( ). The only injury reported was a case of smoke inhalation. Some of the animals living there died.in ,
Chester Zoo opened in the early 1930s. It is now home to around 21 thousand animals from 500 species. Nearly two million people annually visit Chester Zoo, reportedly the largest annual draw of any zoo in the UK not in London. However, the fire caused it to shut down on Saturday.
The monsoon forest habitat, where the fire occurred, housed, amongst other creatures, orangutans, , and birds. In an attempt to replicate the conditions of South East Asia, it was kept at a temperature of 26.6 (about 80 ). Reports passed on by witnesses indicated zoo personnel evaluated at least 40 animals from the area. The zoo reopened on Sunday.,
Although all the mammals reportedly survived, some of the frogs, insects, and small birds housed there died. The fire spread very quickly and strong winds helped the fire spread so fast. Reports suggested the fire was caused by an electrical fault.
"England: Fire at London Zoo kills aardvark, meerkats believed dead" — Wikinews, December 24, 2017
- "Chester zoo fire:Birds,frogs, fish and insects killed in blaze" — , December 16, 2018
- "Chester Zoo re-opens after fire" — , December 16, 2018
- "Visitors evacuated as fire breaks out at Chester zoo" — , December 16, 2018
- "Fire at Chester Zoo leads to evacuation of visitors" — , December 15, 2018
- "Chester zoo fire:Orag-utans saved from blaze at 'monsson forest'" — , December 15, 2018
- Mattha Busby. "Large fire causes evacuation at Chester zoo" — , December 15, 2018
- Tom Duffy. "Chester zoo fire-are the Monsoon Forest animals safe? Everything we know so far" — , December 15, 2018