Football: Arsenal signs Aubameyang from Dortmund
Friday, February 2, 2018
On Wednesday, English football club Arsenal FC announced signing Gabonese striker from German club Borussia Dortmund (BVB) on "a long-term contract" which runs until 2021. The deal is worth about 56 million, making Aubameyang the costliest player in the history of the club.
The 28-year-old striker joined Borussia in 2013 from French club , and since then, scored 141 goals in 213 matches for BVB. In German Bundesliga, he scored 98 goals, scoring one goal in 116 minutes on average. During his tenure at the , the Gabonese captain won the 2017 (German Cup).
Aubameyang scored 31 goals in Bundesliga last season. Aubameyang was named 2016 Bundesliga player of the year. A year earlier, in 2015, he wonaward. He has 56 international with Gabon and has netted 23 goals.
Via their official website, Arsenal announced Aubameyang is to wear jersey number 14, previously worn by Everton FC. The Gabonese, who has already scored 21 goals in 24 games this season, reunites with Armenian midfielder . They were teammates at Dortmund until 2016, when Mkhitaryan moved to Manchester United. Mkhitaryan's transfer to the London club came in exchange of Chilean forward moving from Arsenal to their rivals Manchester in a swap deal.until last month when he moved to
Dortmund had signed Belgian footballer from Chelsea on loan before Aubameyang's deal was agreed upon. With Aubameyang's arrival, French forward Olivier Giroud moved to Arsenal's cross-town rivals Chelsea. In summer, Arsenal had signed for a then-club record fee of around £46.5 million.
- "Mkhitaryan joins Manchester United, Sandro signs Málaga" — Wikinews, July 9, 2016
- "Arsenal signs Japanese Takuma; Chelsea signs Batshuayi" — Wikinews, July 6, 2016
- "Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Arsenal sign Borussia Dortmund striker for £56m" — , January 31, 2018
- "Which shirt number will Aubameyang wear for us?" — , January 31, 2018
- Pirate Irwin (EPL splashes cash as Arsenal sign Aubameyang and Giroud makes Chelsea switch" — , January 31, 2018). "