Football: Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Real Madrid for Juventus
Thursday, July 12, 2018
On Tuesday via their official website, Italian football club Juventus announced signing Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo from Spanish capital club Real Madrid. Per the press release, Ronaldo penned a four-year contract with the club, which runs until June 30, 2022. Juventus said the €100 million transfer fee and €12 million in add-ons is to be paid in two financial years.
33-year-old Ronaldo joined Real Madrid in 2009 from English club Manchester United, for a reported then-world record fee of 80 million. Since then, the Portuguese has played 438 games, scoring 451 goals, a club record. During his tenure at , Ronaldo has won sixteen trophies, including three consecutive UEFA Champions League titles and two LaLiga titles. Two years ago, Ronaldo won the UEFA Euro 2016 with Portugal.
Addressing Real Madrid's club supporters, Ronaldo wrote, "I believe the time has come to embark on a new chapter in my life and that's why I asked the club to allow me to move on" ((es))Spanish language: creo que ha llegado el momento de abrir una nueva etapa en mi vida y por eso he pedido al club que acepte traspasarme.
This signing makes Ronaldo the most expensive player in the history of Juventus, as well as for the Italian Serie A league. Previously, Juventus paid a fee of €90 million to sign Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuaín from rivals , a then-Italian record transfer fee.
Ronaldo had signed a five-year contract extension in 2016, which means he still had three years left.
- "European football: Real Madrid wins third consecutive Champions League beating Liverpool 3-1" — Wikinews, May 29, 2018
- "Real Madrid defends Champions League title" — Wikinews, June 6, 2017
- "Ronaldo signs extended contract with Real Madrid to 2021" — Wikinews, November 8, 2016
- "Ronaldo-less Portugal beats France 1-0; wins Euro '16" — Wikinews, July 12, 2016
- "¡La Undécima!: Real Madrid wins 2015-16 UEFA Champions League 5-3 on penalties" — Wikinews, May 30, 2016
- "Higuaín leaves Napoli for Juventus" — Wikinews, July 27, 2016
- "Agreement with Real Madrid for the definitive acquisition of the player Cristiano Ronaldo" — , July 10, 2018
- "Official Announcement: Cristiano Ronaldo" — , July 10 2018
- "Carta de Cristiano Ronaldo" — , July 10 2018 ()
- "Ronaldo signs for Juventus from Real Madrid" — , July 10, 2018
- "Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Real Madrid to sign with Juventus" — , July 10, 2018