Former Yugoslavian president Slobodan Milosevic found dead in his cell
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Former Yugoslavian president Slobodan Milošević, 64, has died in the U.N. war crimes tribunal detention center in The Hague, Netherlands. The Serbian Socialist party and UN officials confirmed his death, and Tribunal President Fausto Pocar has ordered an inquiry, which will be done by the Dutch police and the Dutch coroner. A toxicological examination and a full autopsy have also been ordered on Milošević.
A statement said that Milošević "was found lifeless on his bed in his cell at the United Nations detention unit. The guard immediately alerted the detention unit officer in command and the medical officer. The latter confirmed that Slobodan Milošević was dead."
Zdenko Tomanović, his defence lawyer, quoted Mr. Milošević as saying, "I have never taken any antibiotic in five years." Mr. Milošević claimed the day before he died that people with an interest in silencing him were trying to poison him.
An adviser to the chief prosecutor reported "He has a proven track record of taking unprescribed medicine, of messing with his medication," and suggested the complete cause of death may never be known.
The trial against Milošević had been delayed 20 times due to health problems. In 2002 judges ordered a psychiatric review to determine the strain the trial was putting on him. In late February the Tribunal denied his petition for a transfer to a hospital in Russia.
Milošević was on trial and charged with more than 60 counts of genocide and crimes against humanity for the role he played in the Balkan wars, which includes the massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica in 1995 and emanating from the Bosnian conflict.
He was extradited to The Hague in 2001, and his trial began in 2002. He refused to be given a lawyer and was defending himself in court, pleading not guilty to all charges against him. He faced life in prison.
- Marlise Simons. "Autopsy Shows Milosevic Died of Heart Attack, Tribunal Says" — , March 12, 2006
- "Milosevic Asks Court to Send Him to Russia for Treatment" — , 22.02.2006 13:39 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 13:43 MSK
- "Slobodan Milosevic, Serbia's Former Leader, Dies in Prison Cell" — , March 11, 2006
- "Slobodan Milosevic dies" — , March 11, 2006
- "Slobodan Milosevic Found Dead in His Cell" — , March 11, 2006
- "Milosevic dies in prison cell" — , March 11, 2006
- "Slobodan Milosevic Dies in the Hague Prison" — , March 11, 2006
- "Milosevic 'found dead in prison'" — , March 11, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|