German Wikipedia DVD on P2P networks
|This article mentions the Wikimedia Foundation, one of its projects, or people related to it. Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
When the news was reported @ heise online, FTP requests to the University of Erlangen quickly overloaded the 622mbit connection server. The average load is still above 482.39 compared to 20 before the announcement.
The DVD image is 2.7 Gigabytes in size, and includes browsing software for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The download is large, but is also available from DirectMedia for about €10 on DVD - although their initial printing of 10,000 sold out within 3 days.
Stimulated by the success of this DVD project, several English news services have raised the question of when an English DVD of Wikipedia will be available.
- Deutsche Wikipedia-DVD im Netz 11.4.2005
- "German Wikipedia DVD sells out first 10,000-copy run" — Wikinews, April 9, 2005
- Ingrid Marson. "Wikipedia planning a DVD version" — , April 07, 2005, 17:05 BST
- "Wikipedia: DVD-Lexikon gratis zum Download" — , 11.04.2005, 17:17 (German) Google translation
- "Wikipedia-DVD zum freien Download" — , 11.04.2005 15:02 (German) Google translation
- Bittorrent source of DVD Images
- FTP source from University of Erlingen
- Belnet source