German beer company Eichbaum issues public apology for printing Saudi Arabian flag on beer bottle caps
Monday, May 14, 2018
On Friday, German company issued a public apology and said they have halted their marketing campaign of printing caps of beer bottles with flags of 32 countries participating in next month's in Russia. Saudi Arabia's flag printed on a beer bottle was condemned by many on social networking platforms.
Islam, meaning Muslims are prohibited from consuming alcohol. Saudi Arabia's flag bears the Islamic , or the creed "Kalimat al-Tawheed", that is "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammed is the messenger of Allah" ((ar))Arabic language: لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله. Saudi Arabia's embassy in Germany published a statement on Twitter saying printing the flag with shahada on beer beverage "constitutes a violation to the holiness of the word, an insult to the flag and a provocation against the feelings of Muslims".is banned in Saudi Arabia. It is considered in
The-based company, in their statement, said, "We have no interest in religious or political manifestations — certainly not about our products. If we have offended you unintentionally, we apologise." Company's marketing director Holger Vatter-Schönthal said, "We did not know that the characters were a creed. We have only checked whether the flags of the participants are correct."
The marketing strategy was condemned by Saudi Arabia's embassy in German capital Berlin. Eichbaum said they are trying to remove all the beer bottles bearing the Saudi Arabian flag.
- "Riyadh condemns World Cup 'Saudi beer' after Twitter backlash" — , May 13, 2018
- Rebecca Staudenmaier. "German brewery scraps World Cup bottle caps after Saudi Arabia flag row" — , May 12, 2018
- "Saudi flag on German beer bottle cap disturbs Muslims" — , May 12, 2018
- "'Disrespectful and Offensive': German Brewery Under Fire Over Saudi Flag Row" — , May 12, 2018
- Habib Toumi. "Firm apologises for Saudi flag on beer bottles" — , May 12, 2018
- KSA Botschaft in DE. "KSA Botschaft in DE on Twitter" — , May 11, 2018