Greek police arrest four for attacking Thessaloniki mayor Yiannis Boutaris
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
Yesderday, Greek police charged four suspects for participating in mob violence against 's city mayor . The 75-year-old mayor was attacked on Saturday at a commemoration of victims of the .
According to police, three suspects were male — aged from seventeen to twenty — of Greek nationality and the fourth suspect was a mid-30sof Greek origin. Boutaris was reportedly told by persons in the crowd to leave the annual commemoration for the victims killed in a massacre during by as well as during the Greek-Turkish war. The mob was then seen kicking the mayor and throwing stones and bottles. The mayor was taken off the scene by his asides. Boutaris was later hospitalised, reportedly sustaining head, leg, and back injuries.
Describing the mayor's assailants as "far-right bullies", Greek Prime Ministersaid they would "have to face the consequences". Both ruling party as well as main opposition party condemned the attack. Syriza called the violence a "fascist attempt to target and intimidate" Boutaris. New Democracy said officials should arrest the attackers "immediately".
Boutaris, who was reportedly at the hospital overnight, said in remarks to thenews organization, "It was a nightmare[...] There were several people that attacked me. They were hitting me everywhere." The mayor called it a "despicable attack".
Boutaris has favoured multiculturalism, supporting the construction of ain Thessaloniki, and construction of monuments in honour of Turkish leaders. Boutaris had also supported policies that were -friendly.
The three adults arrested — all but the seventeen-year-old — are to be tried on Wednesday.
- AP. "4 charged in Greece over attack on Thessaloniki mayor" — , May 21, 2018
- "Greek Police Arrest 2 Participants of Attack on Thessaloniki Mayor" — , May 21, 2018
- Tasos Kokkinidis. "Greek Police Arrest 4 Over Violent Attack on Thessaloniki Mayor" — , May 21, 2018
- Amanda Erickson. "Greece's most liberal mayor beaten by a bunch of far-right protesters" — , May 20, 2018
- "Thessaloniki mayor Yiannis Boutaris beaten up" — , May 20, 2018
- Mark Armstrom. "Nationalist extremists attack Greek mayor on camera" — , May 20, 2018
- Thessaloniki mayor is assaulted by suspected far-right members" — , May 20, 2018. "