India records 14 millionth case of COVID-19 amid new surge in infections
Sunday, April 18, 2021
The 200739 new infections is twice what was seen during its last peak in September, rising after the Reuters, the government blamed wilful disregard of measures and . A officer told "[t]he number of unmasked passengers was much more last month. The renewed surge in Covid numbers has triggered some caution but many are still without masks."such as political rallies in local and state elections and religious events, official complacency and highly infectious new . According to
According to Brazil as the second-most infected country on April 12, though still behind the United States. The new strain has forced hospitals into drastic measures, including two or three patients sharing a bed at and converting over a dozen hotels and banquet halls in New Delhi into COVID-19 treatment centres. The states Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat among others have reported a shortage of oxygen; reported on the Ahmedabad Medical Association pleading the state government for oxygen, writing to Gujarat chief minister "[i]f such conditions persist, the death toll will rise, will increase and doctors will be forced to shut down their hospitals due to lack of oxygen supply"., India overtook
Nationally, the government has shifted its focus from vaccine exporting to domestic production, entering 114 million jabs in peoples' arms — the third-most, behind the US and China — and three million on Wednesday after recently approving for emergency use its third vaccine: Russia-developed . The government maintains there is not an oxygen shortage and that the primary issue with distributing inoculations to states is over-planning, not a supply shortage.
New Delhi announced stay-at-home orders and shuttered restaurants, malls, gyms and spas, with an exception for movie theatres at limited times and at limited capacity. Mumbai went further Wednesday, closing most industries, businesses and public places and restricting movement of people amidst a surge of labourers to the city. In addition to many cities and towns, the epicentral city of Maharashtra imposed a curfew, with only essential services open between 8pm and 7am. The (CBSE) Class 10 exams have been cancelled, and Class 12 exams postponed.
There has also been 1038 new deaths, adding to the total death count of over 173 thousand and putting a strain on local cremation centres and burial grounds. It remains fourth in its death count after the US, Brazil and Mexico.
- "IB cancels board exams in India, schools to follow non-exam route to promote students" — , April 16, 2021
- Saheli Roy Choudhury. "India’s second wave of Covid shows no signs of slowing as country reports over 200,000 new cases" — , April 15, 2021
- Gopi Maniar Ghanghar. "Doctor’s body urge Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani to ensure 100% oxygen supply for Covid-19 hospitals" — , April 15, 2021
- Ashok Sharma. "India’s biggest cities shut down as new virus cases hit 200K" — , April 15, 2021
- Sachin Ravikumar, Neha Arora. "Many Indian hospitals overwhelmed by COVID surge as beds, oxygen fall short" — , April 15, 2021
- Debraj Mitra. "Covid-19: Metro commuters flout mask mandate" — , April 12, 2021