Indian cricketer Sehwag announces international retirement
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Sehwag, who turned 37 yesterday, said on Twitter "I hereby retire from all forms of international cricket and from the Indian Premier League. A statement will follow." He stated he has not retired from matches, and he is also scheduled to appear in the in February 2016.
Also known as the Nawab of Najafgarh, Sehwag is the only Indian cricketer to score a triple century in test matches, making 309 runs againstin 2004 and 319 against in 2008.
Sehwag stated, "I have always done what I felt was right and not what conformists thought to be right [...] God has been kind and I have done what I wanted to do, on the field and in my life, and I had decided some time back that I will retire on my 37th birthday."
Fellow Indian cricketers praised Sehwag when news of his retirement broke.referred to Sehwag's "tremendous achievements" and "superlative performances", called him "a pure entertainer", and described him as "an inspiration to billions of cricket fans across the world."
- Tariq Engineer. "For Sehwag, the only ball that mattered was the one he was about to face" — , October 21, 2015
- Virender Sehwag. "Virender Sehwag on Twitter" — , October 20, 2015
- "India legend Virender Sehwag retires from international cricket" — , October 20, 2015
- "Cricketing fraternity congratulates Sehwag on his career" — , October 20, 2015
- "Virender Sehwag: India opener retires from international cricket" — , October 20, 2015