Japanese journalist shot and killed in Myanmar
Friday, September 28, 2007
Kenji Nagai, 50, a Japanese video journalist shot dead in Myanmar (Burma) this Thursday, is alleged to have been shot intentionally, a report says. On Friday Japanese television station Fuji TV aired a film in which Nagai had been shown. In that film, VOA reports Nagai was "thrown to the ground by a soldier and shot at close range." Tokyo based Yomiuri Shimbun reports the anonymous local testimonies of that incident: Nagai was shot from a near distance while he filmed the anti-government demonstration. The local testimonials state that military and polices aimed at many citizens with cameras.
After being informed of the death of Nagai, the Japanese government demanded that the Burmese government investigate the death and punish the killer, Yomiuri reports.
APF, the Tokyo based news agency for which Nagai worked, reports that Reporters Without Borders, the Paris based non-profit, issued a protest against the Burmese government in response to his death. According to APF, RWB states Burmese government disturbs communications in several ways, including disturbance of cellular connection and blocking of blogs. According to Jiji, a Tokyo based newswire, RWB also requested Japanese government sanction of Myanmar.
Also, European Committee spokesperson accused the Burmese military government of being responsible for Nagai's death as well as all other violence in Burma. European Committee expresses their concern of the Burmese government attitude toward foreign press.
- "Hundreds of monks arrested in monastery raids; continue protests" — Wikinews, September 27, 2007
- "Myanmar protesters beaten by police" — Wikinews, September 26, 2007
- "Australian government declares support for Burmese protests" — Wikinews, September 26, 2007
- "Video Allegedly Shows Japanese Journalist Shot at Close Range in Burma" — , September 28, 2007
- 田原徳容. "撮影中の長井さん、至近距離から狙い撃ちか (Japanese: "Mr. Nagai is alleged to be shot intently from a close distance, while he is filming")" — , September 28, 2007
- "長井さん死亡事件、ミャンマー政府に真相究明要求へ" — , September 28, 2007
- "「国境なき記者団」、長井さんの死でミャンマー軍事政権を非難" — , September 28, 2007
- "日本は対ミャンマー制裁を＝長井さん死亡で国際記者団体" — , September 28, 2007
- "長井さん死亡でＥＵが軍政非難" — , September 28, 2007