John Kerry visits Iraq to build regional support against Islamic State
Thursday, September 11, 2014
Secretary of State visited yesterday to meet , the prime minister of the new government. The visit came as Kerry toured seeking support in the region — military, political, and financial — against the .
Kerry and al-Abadi were to discuss international efforts to build a coalition, in a regional approach to the security issue posed by Islamic State militants in and . The meeting came ahead of U.S. President televised address, to air later in the day in the U.S. and set to announce expanded military efforts to "degrade and ultimately destroy" the organisation.
They were to "discuss how the United States can increase its support to Iraq's new government in our common effort to defeat Isil [Islamic State] and the threat it poses to Iraq, the region, and the world", said State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki. TheIraqi prime minister has, according to U.S. officials, promised to create regional national guards, avoiding security enforcement by the mostly Shia Iraqi army in regions. The policy, if enacted, would provide valuable employment in areas where Islamic State has recruited successfully following economic neglect during the eight years of 's government.
Following the Iraq visit Kerry is to visitas part of the broad U.S. strategy of regional resistance against the militants. President Obama has said the U.S. would not use ground combat troops, but some senior military figures have suggested Islamic State may not be stopped by air strikes alone — of which the U.S. have used 150 over the past month. The regional strategy to address the security crisis does not rely on the support of Congress. The U.S. administration has been urging representatives to approve 500m to support rebels in Syrian opposing Islamic State, but the legislation has been immobile since it was first proposed in May.
- Jason Szep. "Kerry in Iraq backs government, to build support against Islamic State" — , September 10, 2014
- Meagan Fitzpatrick. "Obama ISIS speech: 5 things he must address" — , September 10, 2014
- Mark Tran and Dan Roberts. "Obama to lay out plan to 'destroy' Isis threat as Kerry arrives in Baghdad" — , September 10, 2014
- John Kerry in Iraq to meet new prime minister Haider al-Abadi" — , September 10, 2014. "
- Adam Lusher. "Iraq parliament names Haider al-Abadi as prime minister in bid for non-sectarian unity government" — , September 8, 2014