Local municipalities in Italy ask taxes from religious schools
Sunday, August 2, 2015
In the past few days in, several municipalities have started asking religious schools to pay taxes for property and local services, despite the resistance of the .
The request of the municipalities results from the sentence of the Italianon July 8, recognising as legitimate the request of the Municipality of asking religious schools to pay property taxes.
Requests have come from the Municipality of, next to , and from the deputies of (M5S) of the regional counsel of . The first case is of the mayor Luca Pastorino that in last years received several refusals of his requests for payment because of the religious nursery school and retirement home. In the second case, the M5S party asks to the regional government to assure the local administrations of the region regularly apply the sentence of the Supreme Court.
The case on which the Court has ruled was of the religious schools Santo Spirito and Immacolata in Livorno,, to pay over 422,000 in arrears for the period from 2004 to 2009. The request was advanced by the Municipality of Livorno in 2010.
The city reasoned, "because the users of the private schools pay a frequency fee, this kind of activity is considered as a commercial one" ((it))Italian language: poiché gli utenti della scuola paritaria pagano un corrispettivo per la frequenza, tale attività è di carattere commerciale.
In 2014 the Italian municipal tax discipline has changed from the ICI system to the IMU system by thegovernment. A mean cost per student criterion is used to tax only the schools that receive a fee higher than the mean cost per student fixed by the State. The new law is not retroactive, so the taxes requested in arrears from 2006 to 2009 are under the ICI system.
Minister of Education ((it))Italian language: riflessione più generale is needed. Claudio De Vincenti, undersecretary to the prime minister, said "a discussion table will be opened with the non-profit associations, religious association included" ((it))Italian language: apriremo quindi un tavolo di confronto con le organizzazioni non profit, comprese quelle religiose.said a "more general reflection"
Undersecretary for Education Mr. Toccafondi says "many schools will increase their fees or they will quit. Then the State will have to find new resources to build new structures and manage them" ((it))Italian language: Molti istituti aumenteranno le rette o chiuderanno. Così lo Stato dovrà trovare nuove risorse per costruire nuove strutture e gestirle.
Also the president of the Lombardy region,, has reacted by proposing some regional counter-measures to finance private schools.
The secretary general of CEI (((it))Italian language: pericolosa and "ideological" ((it))Italian language: "ideologica: "We face a dangerous sentence. Who takes the decisions, do it with less ideology. Because I have the clear sensation that with this way of thinking, they wait the praise of some ideologized supporters. Indeed, they don't understand what kind of good service private schools held" ((it))Italian language: Siamo davanti a una sentenza pericolosa. Chi prende decisioni, lo faccia con meno ideologia. Perché ho la netta sensazione che con questo modo di pensare, si aspetti l'applauso di qualche parte ideologizzata. Il fatto è che non ci si sta rendendo conto del servizio che svolgono le scuole pubbliche paritarie.), , has called the sentence "dangerous"
Italian secularist associations are concerned the Government will modify the law in order to maintain an exception for religious schools. The secularist magazinedescribe the court's judgement as historic.
The(UAAR) has launched a petition which now has more than 11,000 signatures, asking the government to respect and execute the sentence of the Supreme Court. It is also encouraging citizens to ask for application of the law in their local municipalities.
- "Ici/Imu/Tasi per le scuole private paritarie!" — , August 2, 2015 (date of access) ()
- Renzo Parodi. "Imu, Bogliasco: guerra sindaco-prete. “Asilo e casa riposo paghino”. “No, esentati”" — , July 30, 2015 ()
- "Ici alle scuole paritarie, colpite le materne" — , July 30, 2015 ()
- Infodata. "Scuole e Imu, nessun cambiamento per le 13.625 scuole paritarie italiane" — , July 30, 2015 ()
- Enrico Lenzi. "Scuole paritarie e tasse, le norme dimenticate" — , July 29, 2015 ()
- "Le scuole private lombarde devono pagare l'Ici: ordine del giorno del M5s Lombardia per la sessione di bilancio" — , July 28, 2015 ()
- Tobia Invernizzi. "ICI e Chiesa, lo scandalo della “legge uguale per tutti”" — , July 28, 2015 ()
- "Ici, i vescovi protestano. Il governo: "Le paritarie non pagheranno"" — , July 26, 2015 ()
- "Scuola, la Cei insorge: "Sentenza su Ici a paritarie pericolosa". Giannini non si sbilancia: "C'è una riflessione da fare"" — , July 25, 2015 ()
- "Scuole cattoliche e tasse sugli immobili, Maroni studia misure ad hoc per sostenere gli istituti" — , July 25, 2015 ()
- FQIci-Imu alla Chiesa, la Cassazione: “Ha ragione il Comune di Livorno, le scuole religiose devono pagarla”" — , July 24, 2015 (). "
- "Livorno, sentenza Cassazione: "Le scuole religiose devono pagare la tassa sugli immobili"" — , July 24, 2015 ()